Yep. You read that right. Although I don't want you to think it's me. I'm not sick. Never have been. Except for if you count that time I spent in the psych ward 20 years ago.....
No, I mean I haven't had the flu (regular strain or the kind that sends bacon drippings out of your nose) or strep or pneumonia or the stomach bug or the croup or anything yet this season. For which I am EXTREMELY grateful.
However, I've had to open up the patient rooms again at the House of Bowling Hospital on the children's floor. The eldest son and husband, as you may or may not remember from this post, had the flu and crud and fever and such for several days. Eldest son stayed home from school for the whole week...except Friday. Which when he returned, he looked like warmed over oatmeal. Pale. Weak. Mushy.
Anyway, the point is, the fever eventually broke, the medicine began working, and he did regain some strength, and 7 of the 10 pounds he lost during that sick week. However, yesterday, he came home from church and crawled into bed....by-passing lunch and any family fun we had planned for the rainy day indoors. By early evening the fever was among us....and my little man was sick. Yet again.
So, off to the Dr. we went Monday morning. Fortunately, our wonderful cousin is also our wonderful pediatrician....unfortunately, clinics like hers are often very busy. On Mondays. During flu season. We opted to run over to the "doc in a box" as I call them. Because my cousin and myself have spoken extensively about it, and she has great confidence in the doctors there. Some of whom she has taught as students in Med School.
We arrive. Eldest son is tested for strep and flu. Even though they assure me that it would be rare if he were to have flu again, so soon, only two weeks from the first batch. And they were right. Flu test negative. Strep test negative.
Plan B. Chest x-rays to see if pneumonia may have set in......which is not uncommon after having the flu. The good news was no pneumonia spotted....however there were some lines in his lungs and signs of bronchitis. And apparently to go along with that, has also picked up something else since his immune system was so.run.down.
So another round of antibiotics has begun. He's a sick little man who would appreciate your prayers. One of two scenarios will play out....according to the doctor. He will begin feeling better within two days, not great or well, but better, and can return to school. Or he won't. At which point we were asked to return to their office for further tests.
I'm wore slap out. And Lord only knows what would happen if I lived in a "big" town.....if there were a HOT and NOW sign flashing in my neighborhood, or down the street, or a few blocks over, or even in my county......I'd have probably O.D.ed on Krispy Kremes by now.
But sadly, the HOT....NOW sign is no where near me. So I made do with what I had. A new recipe for some good old-fashioned, warm, comfort giving cookies. Called Oatmeal Scotchies.
Nope, the recipe doesn't call for scotch.....but if this sickness cycle keeps repeating itself, I may take a shot straight from the bottle with each cookie I scoop onto the pan for baking.
You know you want to try them. And they are easy to make....and really yummy. I should know.....I ate 3 of them while baking. For taste purposes only, of course. Each pan could have had slight variations from the oven, and we plan on sharing with the teachers tomorrow, so no need to send a bad batch. :)
If it makes you feel any better, as it did me, I will tell you that I did in fact enjoy those 3 cookies with a tall glass of low fat milk. Because the oatmeal coupled with the milk = healthy. So much so, I may call them breakfast in the morning. While I'm making my rounds to the sick and afflicted. Eldest son is sick and I'm just afflicted.
Go over to our recipe blog if you want to become afflicted with me. Get a glass of cold milk ready. You're gonna need it.
8 comments:
I'm so sorry Rivers is sick again! We've been battling upper respiratory infection...and let me tell you, I KNOW Whit doesn't feel good, but I'm about ready to take her out of her misery!! lol I don't think Honeybun will survive! The poor boy can't do anything right and neither can I for that matter. If you need me, I'm only a phone call away!!
Kim, I swear by vitamin C, vitamin D, and Beta Glucan. My family takes large doses of those 3 supplements anytime we begin feeling sick and it seems to ward off things from getting worse. The vit D and Beta Glucan can help build up the weakened immune system. Beta Glucan, if you don't know, is like echinacea on steroids as far as boosting your immune system! You can get it at health food/supplement stores. Not sure about mainstream places like GNC, but maybe. And of course you can get vit c and d at any store. Hope your son feels better soon! And hope mommy can survive the week!!! God bless :)
Sorry to hear. Hope he's well soon!
At least your funny bone is not sick:)
Hope the cool dude feels better SOON!!!
Love you,
LLL
Jill...thanks, I'll be off to get some of each as soon as I can get back out to the store! Definitely wouldn't hurt for all of us to be getting some help for our immune systems with the sickness going around, but Rivers could certainly use the extra boost right now!
Hope he's feeling better soon! The cookies look delicious.
The cookies were exceptionally good....if I do say so myself. So easy to make, and the raw dough was SO YUMMY! Temple ate a couple of scoops before baking! And Broken leg boy licked the beaters slap clean! TB said all the teachers thought they were good too...she adores passing out goodies to them! :)
I'm so sorry to hear that Rivers is sick again!!! Give him a hug and a kiss for me!!!
Love y'all...xoxo Aunt Joy
Post a Comment