Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cooking Camp---surprise cupcakes

I've been baking in the kitchen most of the day, making goodies for the cake walk at the kid's fall festival. And it reminded me that I had yet to post this cooking camp from a couple of weeks back.

First, you must line your cupcake pan with cute little paper holders. Why? Because greasing and flouring are too much trouble, and they make the most fun cupcake papers for every holiday, event and season known to man. This part may take a while, if you're 8 and you like to do "this row with the polka dot ones, and this row with the pink striped ones, and this row with the ones that have little purple cupcakes on them, etc.etc.etc.".

As a practice in patience, I survived, but barely....I had to restrain from sternly announcing...."JUST PUT THE HOLDERS IN ALREADY!!"


Finally, once the papers are properly aligned, color coded and what not, you can help mix up a batch of cupcake batter. Chocolate Fudge, in fact. And then, if you're real nice, you can hold the beater in your left hand and the spoon in your right hand and lick alternately, until clean.




Now comes the fun of the "surprise" part. Break off a piece of chocolate chip cookie dough and poke it into the middle of the cupcake batter. YUM. Now eat a few pieces of dough for good measure. It never hurts to check the ingredients before serving them to others. :)


Add a little icing to the top...cream cheese icing works nicely.



And then take a big bite and see the surprise inside!!!!



TB loved passing these out at school to the teachers telling them it was a "surprise cupcake". She and Walt both got a kick out of the cookie baking right inside the cupcake. Fun times. Yummy surprises!!

3 comments:

Raegan & Caleb said...

How fun...and yummy too! I'm taking notes on cooking camp ideas for Isabelle and me. I know she's not quite ready to put the muffin cups in the pan yet, but I know she can lick the spoon :)

Amanda McCrory said...

Oh thats looks so good I am def gonna try it! At least TB cares about the way things look she could have just thrown them in all messy now no one would have liked that. I really wish we could make things and take to school but everything has to be store bought in the package never opened now what fun is in that?? I love your cooking camp!

Ivy said...

Oh heavenly treat!! This is a must try! I hope you don't mind I peaked at your family blog :/

I don't know you, but from what I've seen on your blog, you are one amazing wife and mom! Your family is truly blessed to have you, and you've inspired me to want to be a better person. I feel blessed you commented on my blog so I can stalk yours and learn so much :)

Have a wonderful day!