Saturday, October 03, 2009

Hide His words in your Heart



  • "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads." ~~~Deuteronomy 6:6-8 (NIV)

I know. I know. First thing out of the gate, and I pick not one but three verses to learn. YOU CAN DO IT!

If we were to study more on God's word, his instruction for our daily living, just as this verse implies:

  • when we sit on the couch, at the supper table, in the kitchen while at home
  • when we walk out that door, into the world around us...our schools, our jobs, our activities, outings, restaurants, convenience stores, doctor's offices, city parks, traffic lanes, hospital lobbies, malls, church services, everywhere
  • first thing in the morning when we are given another day in the Lord, and again when we lay down from that day, whether it has been good, bad or just plain ugly....thank Him for it.

If we just do what this verse offers....meditate on HIS words at all these times...well, we don't really have a lot of time leftover for our brain to be idle, to think worldly, to be defeated.


I think this passage signifies the importance of exactly what we are planning to do together. I'll check back with you in a few weeks....don't forget to say it out loud, several times a day....write it in a journal, or on the back of your Wal-Mart receipt....read it often....pray it, daily.

6 comments:

ChrisJean3 said...

I'm sooo excited!! Got my notecard made and ready to roll!

Unknown said...

I want to thank you again for doing this! I am so excited for every 3rd and already feel so inspired. I have one note in my bathroom (since I am in the bathroom every 20 minutes it seems like these days) and one in the car!

HPES said...

Fellow Word Hiders,
Over the past 2 years the Lord has graciously given me a desire to study the Hebrew and Greek definitions of words in the Bible. So, if it is ok with ya'll I may share the words that He highlights in my Spirit to study. In this passage that Kim gave us the word "impress" poked out to me. So here it is:

Impress= (Hebrew word=shaman)= to sharpen, teach (incisively)

Incisively=remarkably clear and direct; sharp; keen; acute: an incisive method of summarizing the issue.

This tells me He wants us to be CLEAR and intentional when teaching our children His Word and truths. It is up to us to sharpen them.-kporter

HPES said...

Also, Kim, thanks! I am so excited about this. You rock! kp

The Cannons said...

Do love this verse! Amazingly, just this week the Lord really impressed verse 7 to me. I hope to always be an example for my boys. A little slogan I've adopted and you may want to think of this, "24/7, I'm an example for Heaven". I'm setting an example for them, everything I do, should help them strive to make Heaven their home. THANKS KIM!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

So excited for all you ladies out there joining in...isn't God wonderful!

And I'm so blessed with what KP has shared with us the insights given from the Hebrew words. Thanks! And let me please add...I do not rock...but the Lord certainly does!!

Ang---I love the "24/7, I'm an example for Heaven"---GREAT for helping remember the meaning behind Deut. 6:6-8