Friday, October 30, 2009

Because some things must be duly noted on the blog....


or maybe it's because the eldest asked me...."Mom, are you gonna put my report card on the blog?".

Which translated from "cool guy, high school-er" speak means:

  • "I made all A's during my first grading period ever in high school (which is a completely different mechanism altogether from elementary school, because HELLO....the courses are harder and we are required to be more responsible and disciplined to diligently study on our own and everything.... thus I think it's worthy to be featured on the blog, but of course I wouldn't want to ask you to do that because that would make me seem uncool, and totally lame, because it's just grades and we all know that you don't really attend public school for academia purposes but rather for social and athletic purposes.....and clearly I am so cool, already, at the tender age of 12. So cool.


  • But if you feel compelled to put it on the blog, that's fine too. I'll just leave it right here on the kitchen counter for you to photograph or scan this lovely document, on such a momentous occasion. In fact you may want to frame it, because it might never happen again.....I've got so much football to play, and girls to talk to at break, and pep rallies to attend with my serious athlete face, where it looks like I'm not having fun, but inside I'm really enjoying it greatly, and picture day for various clubs I'm going to be in for the next 6 years although I have no idea what they are really about, and tons more Homecoming floats that will need me to devote an enormous chunk of my time to, and all that time spent in the hallway at my very own locker, where we learn up to the minute gossip, and lunch, who could forget lunch and school assemblies, and you know the rest. I just don't know with my schedule filling up so fast in just these first short 3 months alone if I'll be able to keep up this pace of making honor roll, with the whole all A thing. But I'm glad I was able to buckle down and pull it out this first 9 weeks. "

You all had no idea I could translate high school-er speak so well. I know. Me either. Of course it helps that I was a teenager, or pre-teen once. And I did in fact survive high school as well.

It is yet to be determined if I will survive raising a high school-er.

But I am proud of his first. ever. report. card. from. high. school. Which just so happens to be all A's. An enormous feat in itself considering the fact that at one point half-way through the grading period when progress reports were mailed home, he had a C in Math. Which caused his mother's head to spin, almost off it's axis. Apparently the head spinning tactic worked because he jumped right in and strapped on his thinking cap, actually applied himself, and pulled out an A.

It is another milestone, and I am just crazy enough to possibly frame this. Alongside his first ever picture as an athlete on the FRIDAY NIGHT FIELD OF PLAY...because my priorities are all in order. :)

Have a great Friday, y'all.


4 comments:

The Cannons said...

Good Job, Rivers! The apple doesn't have to far from the tree, Mrs. Genius, I think that's how you spell it. No worries, my boys got their smarts from their Dad,ha.

Lana said...

Wow! Great job, Rivers. I am SOOOO very proud of you! Miss you lots and miss you more!!

I am so excited that you have gotten to play football. I can hardly wait to see where your football career takes you!

Aunt Lana

Michelle J. said...

I am learning how to speak teenager, too. For example, when I ask if they have cleaned their rooms and they reply "Yes" I translate that to "We stuffed everything under the bed and into the drawers so that it looks clean." I have 2 teenagers so I am pretty fluent!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Michelle...no doubt about it...it sounds like you have mastered a second language!! And that's exactly how my kids "clean" too!!