Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nothing has changed. I am still his mama, and it's still my blog.

Therefore, you get to suffer through another round of football photos, for those two reasons alone. Not because you will find wonderful action filled shots....but because THAT'S MY BOY. MY FIRSTBORN. ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. TAKING THE FIELD OF PLAY. IN A VARSITY FOOTBALL GAME!!!


What? You don't see him? Well, he's right there.....look for the smallish one in the huddle. Aha, you found him. He's in the huddle because he went in for a play during the game Friday night. Granted it was the last waning minutes or seconds of the 4th quarter and we were up by like 5 touchdowns, but still.....he went in!!



Folks, this is what young men dream of....or at least the ones who live at my house, anyway. On Christmas Eve, it's not sugarplums dancing in their heads, it's triple option-pass plays, and running routes, and hitch-and-go, and various and sundry other titles that I better not try to recollect because it has already been pointed out to me that I have several football facts wrong in a few previous posts. I don't think that will change anytime soon, too bad computers don't have a "football check" to go along with the "spell check".



Again, I plead the cheerleader fifth. I was only required to do back handsprings down the sideline when we scored a touchdown and yell, "HOLD 'EM CATS, HOLD 'EM", really loud when we were on defense. All the stuff in between....was football...of which I know very little. However, I'm learning....each week, I'm learning. Amid all the shame and agony that goes with the snickers I get from the coaches, and players, and my husband, and my brother, and my nephew, and random people who like to correct me when I'm wrong. God Bless them, I'm a slow learner....but I sure do love the game of football.


Like for instance, did I tell y'all about the time last week in the Jr. High game when I was on the sidelines taking pictures and turned to my son to tell him it was time for him to go onto the field? Yep. I knew he played on kick-off return, and the other team was about to kick it.....except it was a punt....and he's not on the punt return team. Luckily, unlike myself, my boy knows the difference between a punt and a kick-off.....so he politely crossed his arms at his chest and stared me down through the bars of that helmet....then shook his head....like he felt sorry for me. Lord, help me.


At any rate, as you saw, I have proof in the pictures....he played in yet another VARSITY FRIDAY NIGHT GAME. It was one play, and you see him trotting off the field, and we all know it wasn't really "playing".....but I'm telling you, believe me or not, it's what they dream about.

Come to think of it, I don't really dream about sugarplums either.....it's always Krispy Kremes that appear in my visions.


I digress, to the doughnut, yet again. Sorry. So, this will probably be the last you see of my boy taking the FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS scene for this season. We have two more regular season games, and then playoffs. It doesn't appear that there will be another opportunity where we're so far ahead in the 4th quarter that they can put my little secret weapon in....with all his 90 pounds. But who knows? He may be the sneak attack, trick play, to surprise the opposing team sometime.

Of course I assure you, it will be no surprise after I see him take the field...I'll be screaming to the top of my lungs....THAT'S MY BOY!! Just like I did again this past Friday night when he stormed into the huddle, all crisp and clean in his white uniform. And I even had the sideline crew, the men who hold the chains for the downs, saying even they were about to start cheering for him. And they were from the other school.


But they could feel the love....even if I don't know much about the game....I know I love that boy!! Thanks for letting me indulge those feelings here on the old blog.

Maybe I don't know that a "wheel" linebacker is actually known as Will, brother to Sam (strong linebacker) and Mike (middle linebacker). Well, I didn't know that before my boy started all this football mess. The lingo...it's not my thing, yet. But the emotion behind the game....I'm all in!

3 comments:

Joy said...

Every mother who has had a boy run into a huddle on a football field knows what you are feeling.

It still affects me.

I can be jumping around and screaming my head off during an Alabama game but when a player for another team really messes up or gets hurt or has a fantastic play I always say--------His Mother is somewhere in those stands and I know how she feels!

ChrisJean3 said...

Even though Honeybun is not genetically mine, my chest fills with pride when he's on that football field. I know, not matter if your a Mother to a son or daughter, "Mom" feelings are real and oh so very special!! Love you girlie!!!

Unknown said...

We will be there friday night to cheer on those wildcats! I feel like Zach is actually going out there to play....he is so excited!