Monday, March 01, 2010

The 5K race



We were in T5's hometown last weekend for his father's retirement festivities.  His Dad has worked at an Air Force Base in Tennessee for over 35 years.  And for the last couple of decades, he and a few co-workers have always went for a run during their lunch.   Well, let me back up, A LOT of folks on the Air Force Base run....in the morning, at lunch, mid afternoon, etc.etc.etc.  So, in honor of Pappy's retirement, they decided to host a 5K race the morning before the ceremony. 

It was properly titled the "RUST AWAY RUN".  And our shirts for the occasion had a picture of Pappy standing in front of his old car he drove for over 30 years, and the saying "Old Bowlings never die, they just rust away".   The course was set up around the military base, with the start line and finish line set up at the front of the building which houses Pappy's office.  They had a shorter "walking course" set out for those not wanting to run, and then the main course for the 5K, with 100 people entering the race.

As I wrote in the post below this, I did in fact survive to finish the race, even though I'm not a runner....I'm not even a jogger.....I'm not even a speed walker. But I wanted to do this race.  So I tried my hardest to keep up with the pack, who quickly left me behind.  Did I mention yet there was one Colonel (who runs marathons) that finished the race in 20 minutes.  And they said that wasn't even his fastest time.  Folks, that's averaging less than 7 minutes a mile.  I knew I was out of my league, but trudged forward anyway. 

The kids all wanted to run the 5K as well, so they geared up in their toboggans and sweatshirts and lined up with the rest of us.  It was my job, since I was clearly in the back of the pack, to make sure the kids didn't get off course or get lost on the base.  I'd have to look over my shoulder at every turn checking to see if I saw little heads somewhere down the road, and a few times, I'd even walk backwards trying to keep moving, but wait to see if they made a corner turn.  With that being said, had I not been in charge of the kids (my two younger ones as well as their two cousins), I might could have finished the race just seconds behind that Colonel who ran in half my time. But, as a mother, you all understand where my priorities lie....always watching out for the kids. Sacrificing myself, and my Summer Olympic Track and Field dreams. :) HA!

However, as slow as I am and as uneventful as my time was in finishing the race, I have a great story to report of my dear husband and Elder Son. Since January, every weekend we were home, I would trek outside and announce, "hey, I'm gonna take a little (meaning 5 minute) run, want to join me?", and T5 would always reply, "no thanks, I'm gonna work in my shop."  I'd think (often outloud) okay, but you're gonna wish you had at least walked a mile before that 5K race begins in a few weeks.  So, he trained a total of 0 (that would be zero) minutes.  In fact, it had been weeks since a pair of tennis shoes had even touched his feet until the morning of the race.  I seriously thought he wouldn't be able to run the whole event, although I knew he'd finish, I knew he'd beat me, but I thought for certain he couldn't run the entire time.  Elder Son, is only 12, and he started out pacing himself with the big pack that morning, alongside his Dad. 

And they finished the race, side by side, running the entire way.  In less than 30 minutes.  I'm not sure of their exact time, although I think it was 29 minutes 53 seconds. They were proud. I was proud. I couldn't believe it.  It's wonderful that T5 completed it, without training, in under 30 minutes, but my boy, my firstborn, my baby.....he ran the whole race in under 30 minutes as well!  And he was wearing his father's football sweatshirt from the late 80's.

I can't tell you how excited I was for them, both of them. 

Fast runners, good looking guys, and they both belong to me.  


2 comments:

Lindsay said...

At least you finished it running! Proud of you. Now if I could just find a motivating 5k and do the same thing!! :)

Courtney Long said...

wow, sounds like a really neat event!