Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ice Cream for Supper....(day 5)

Yes, I said we had ICE CREAM for supper.  And I am not ashamed.  In fact this was the 2nd time for this phenomenon on our road trip.  And yes, I forgot to post the other time, but never fear that post should arrive in the morning....lest I forget this time in our lives, when ICE CREAM was supper. :)

This stop is pretty famous....a staple feature on Route 66 for over 70 years....and it has been featured on Food Network!!  So, of course, we HAD to try it out! 

The kids were a bit skeptical when we were riding in the elevator of the hotel, ready to go out for supper and I announced we were going to eat CONCRETE.  

Because you see, CONCRETE is the specialty at Ted Drewes place.



There were 6 lines of people, about 6-8 people deep, clamoring about to order some CONCRETE, a milkshake, or even several folks who were there with their dogs, ordering the canine a little frozen custard treat!! 

I couldn't believe all the folks, on a March night, still a bit of a chill in the air.  I cannot imagine this place on a hot, summer night in July!!!  


So, back to what we came for....the moment we could all say we ate some CONCRETE. 

As noted when you find Ted Drewes on the web:

The shop may be best known for a specialty called a "concrete". A concrete is custard blended with any combination of dozens of ingredients, served in a large yellow cup with a spoon and straw. A concrete is blended so thick that it and its spoon do not fall out when the cup is turned upside-down. Servers often demonstrate this before handing an order to the customer. Seasonal ingredients, such as apple and pumpkin pie, appear for a short period every year.

Upon inspection of the menu, I knew immediately what I would order....a concrete entitled "ALL SHOOK UP". 

No, I don't really have a huge fascination with all things Elvis related.
Yes, this is the second time in the same matter of days, that I've ordered Elvis inspired food.

I do have a love for banana flavors, and in fact, I do love a good Elvis song every now and then (Love Me Tender, anyone?).  But this ALL SHOOK UP concrete at Ted Drewes....well....it was better than anything Elvis I've ever experienced.

That Elvis.
He really knew a good flavor combination....bananas and peanut butter. 
Or as in the ALL SHOOK UP concrete---bananas and reese's peanut butter cups!!! YUM-O!


Of course we couldn't stand around outside this famous attraction and not try out the CONCRETE test for ourselves.....
Elder Son, a bit skeptical, only went half-way over with his cookie dough concrete.....





However, Baby Girl showed no fear, she turned her CONCRETE right upside down and let it hang out a while, much to her Daddy's dismay. 

I'm happy to report, the CONCRETE name help up and not a drop of frozen custard goodness was lost!

No comments: