Thursday, March 25, 2010

Yet again, we had ice cream for supper, this time in NEBRASKA---(day 2--a little late)


Sorry, this post was lost in the road trip shuffle, and after the Ted Drewes post from yesterday, I remembered there was another time on the road trip when we accepted Ice Cream as the only choice for our supper fare.  And this evening brought us to check off the great state of Nebraska. Omaha, in fact.


Yes, call me a bad mother.  I careth not. 

I do, however, enjoy a good ice cream.  Especially in a shop as quaint as this one located in the old, historic, downtown market place of Omaha.


They have some of the neatest flavors of ice cream....all homemade right in the shop, daily, in these big wooden ice cream churns. Their ice cream makers work the old fashioned way too, with rock salt and ice!!  Different flavors, different times. Aside from the standard regulars, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry....on any given day they may be serving up-- French Toast, Guinness (yes the beer), cinnamon graham cracker, Green Tea, Margarita, Molasses, Rum raisin, Pineapple, ....just to name a few.....


Middle boy stated so cleverly at the table, that he, Baby Girl and I were representing different coutries with our ice cream choices....DUTCH chocolate, IRISH coffee and my choice of margarita....which he promptly said was of MEXICAN descent. :) 

I'm sad to say that the margarita ice cream was not my favorite, but I loved the coffee and the chocolate.  I used to always order this sorbet type stuff at Baskin Robbins called "daiquiri ice"...it was a light, pale aqua color and tasted so refreshing. Anyone heard of it???   I haven't been able to find it at a Baskin Robbin in YEARS...maybe even a DECADE!  Sad, but true.  Anyway, I was hoping the margarita would be similar, but it didn't make my tasted buds jump for joy.  Oh how I miss the daquiri ice of my youth. :)


Elder Son ventured out to be the big dog that he is, looking past the piddly cup of coffee cream Baby Girl ordered, and the chocolate filled waffle cone of Middle Boy.

Instead he bellied up to the table with a full on MAN SIZE, completely loaded, banana split.

His motto: Go big (real big, as in huge) or go home.


He worked the hardest, lingered the longest over his supper, and to our sheer but delighted surprise.....


He finished the entire concoction.  Yes, mam, or sir if you're reading, he ate the whole thing.  Including those cheeries that he'd saved til the end.


I'm sad to report that this, unfortunately, only filled up that apparent hole in his big toe for a short while.  Teenage boys....you can't fill them up no matter how hard you try.


What better to cap off a great evening of ice cream in Omaha, than a piggy back ride down the cobblestone streets?  So sweet.


3 comments:

Candace said...

Your trip looks like SO MUCH FUN! I've always wanted to do a road trip - traveling the country and stopping in small places and experiencing the best of America at its finest and rarest!

carissa said...

the banana split looks divine. mmmmm. the rest of the flavors sound great! although, i don't like real margaritas so the ice cream sounds ify. too bad you didn't love it! i think dinner should be replaced with ice cream often! : )

Dana Maxwell said...

Hi Kimberly, trying to catch up on your blog. The road trip was a great idea and I give a big + for ice cream suppers!!
About daiquiri ice cream from Baskin Robbins; I loved it!! I would allow myself 2 or 3 times during the summer to go by the Gadsden Mall and get some. Those were the days that I at least tried to watch my weight somewhat. That's gone with the wind. Our little BR mysteriously burned one night and it has never opened up again. I think there is one in Birmingham, maybe around Roebuck area. Anyway, I'd love to know if they ever carry that anymore, as it really was a very refreshing and cool treat on a hot day. Let me know if you ever find any!