Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Hide His Words in your Heart---November's Verse


"Enter his gates with THANKSGIVING
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name."

~~Psalm 100:4


See, I'm true to my promise. Only one verse to memorize this month. Although it was hard, I really wanted to memorize the entire chapter of Psalm 100. Like most psalms, it's a beauty and such an encouragement. A psalm for giving thanks...and should be easy to remember during this particular month!! :)

Here's the thing....I want you to immediately think of the Lord's blessings when you walk into the grocery store, the craft store, the office supply store, when you look upon the bulletin boards or artwork at schools, the calendar on your desk at work, the butterball turkey commercials, the green bean casserole recipe from your Grandmother, the pilgrim hats your grandchildren will wear at lunch one day, the design graphics for all the TV specials and college football games......

Basically this is a deep sensory scripture memorization. Every time you see, hear, touch or smell THANKSGIVING, at any time this month, I want you to stop and thank the Lord. Give Him the honor and praise....for all of our blessings come forth only by HIS HAND alone.

And I must also give you an early challenge this month. I'm certain all of us will be able to hide these words in our heart long before the month ends. However, I would like you to take it a step further. Your challenge is this:
  • Every single day, when you read your index card, or however you plan to memorize this verse, I challenge you to name a blessing from the Lord you are thankful for.....a different blessing, each day.

It's easy to come before God with a list of things we need help with, baggage from the past we can't let go, hurt, shame or pain that never seems to go away. And you know, we should, in fact we are commanded, to pray about those issues. However, we should also always remember to Praise God. Even in the bad times. Even when the day seems like there was nothing good that happened, nothing worthy to be thankful for, nothing at all. Look again. There is never a day we can't praise God by telling him how great he is.

I know that we have H3 participants (or their friends and family) in our group this month who will be experiencing life, the good and the bad with things such as heartaches, marital bliss, labor and delivery, travel, loss, marital dismay, a new business, unemployment, a new home, birthdays, financial burdens, physical therapy, the unknown....and the list goes on and on.

Every day we have SO much to be thankful for....even if it's when we look in the mirror and say, well, at least I'm having a good hair day. Because remember, he even knows how many hairs are on your head...including the grey ones!!

  • Thank Him because your hair stylist can color those grey ones right up!
  • Thank Him because your son can walk.
  • Thank Him because the forecast shows no rain all week!
  • Thank Him because your family is always there for you to lean on....even when miles separate you.
  • Thank Him because sweet potato pie is your absolute favorite. Or pecan, or pumpkin, or anything dessert related!!!
  • Thank Him because that cute sweater just went on sale.
  • Thank Him because the foliage he paints every fall is gorgeous.
  • Thank Him because your daughter reads His word.
  • Thank Him because the weekends provide a time of rest, a big pot of chili, and some SEC football.
  • Thank Him because you have parents who were Godly examples.
  • Thank Him for dishwashers, I know I do.
  • Thank Him for allowing you to know ladies who can make really good dressing. (I think you Northerners call it stuffing.) Too bad you don't have our southern dressing. I feel sorry you have to eat stuffing. :)
  • Thank Him for showing you your mate...even if you were apprehensive to trust Him with that choice.
  • Thank Him for the coupons in Sunday's paper, because they match up with your weekly meal plans.
  • Thank Him because he holds your tongue.
  • Thank Him for whoever invented cranberry sauce.
  • Thank Him for Book Club.
  • Thank Him because he gives you terrific friends to surround you in joy or sadness.
  • Thank Him because he is your friend.
  • Thank Him because he forgives you, daily.
Thank Him for sending his Son. Otherwise, we would certainly have nothing to be thankful for....

Okay, so get started. I encourage you to write down your thankful thoughts somewhere as reminders now and for years to come. Maybe on your calendar, in a journal, just jot down one word responses on a sheet of paper stuck in your bible, or maybe on a little something you'll be receiving in the mail from me. (And if you are new this month, or just didn't have time to participate last month, be sure to send me an e-mail (bowlingfamilymoments@yahoo.com) with your mailing address.) Or if you have aboslutely no idea what H3 is....click here to read more.

I may check in throughout the month, and post on what I was thankful for that day. I'd love to hear some of what you may be thankful for this month. If you have a thankful moment you want to share, a funny story, a sad time that brought about unexpected thankfulness, whatever the case may be, you can feel free to e-mail me, or leave a comment, or post it on your own blog, or send someone you are thankful for a note via the pony express. Who knows what blessings the Lord has in store for each of us this November.

And remember, EVERY day must be something NEW to be thankful for.....30 days, 30 thankful measures, no matter how big or small. Better start immediately, you're already 3 days behind. :)

Today, I'm thankful for all of you!

10 comments:

Lana said...

Great post Kimbo. My mind is already turning.

November 1-Thankful for long time friends who have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

November 2- Thankful that my middle school speech students are making progress!

November 3- Thankful that I can type on your post because I am still alive!

I love you,

LLL

The Cannons said...

Love this verse! We do forget to come before him with enough thanks and praise sometimes. And often we come to ask for more blessings that we haven't even thanked him for the things he gave us the last time we asked. Help me to be more thankful. Just this morning, a pile of clean white clothes on the floor and 2 matching socks right there on top. Running behind and ta-da, there they were. THANK YOU LORD!!And for those precious feet that wear them and can run and jump and track dirt through the house and already need fungus lotion and smell like little sweaty men feet after a day of play, and are identical in shape and form to his Daddy's(amazing)and are so ticklish everytime you touck them, oh I could go on and on. THANKFUL,VERY THANKFUL!!

HPES said...

Right now I am completely overwhelmed. 6 years ago TODAY, Shawne and I visited the fertility clinic. 6 years ago today we prayed for God to PLEASE show us His will for us...to make it so abundantly clear... and He did in a miraculous way. So today I am sooooo thankful to my Father for showing us His will, for having a perfect plan that we could not see at the time. I am thankful I woke up this morning to a little girl who snuck to my bed and was playing with my hair in her sleep. I am thankful that my baby boy woke up grinning, trying to pretend he was still asleep just so I would tickle him. I am thankful that I couldn't give birth...6 years ago I couldn't say that..but now I see what He was doing. I am thankful that this verse came out to us today, to remind me. Kporter

Unknown said...

Oh I love this...and especially always remembering what great things we are blessed with...This will be a big month for me and my household! I need to contstantly remember that without God, none of it would be possible! Always give Him the praise!

ChrisJean3 said...

As I read this post, my first thought was, "I am most thankful for my beautiful daughter". After reading the entire post and the comments that followed, I am still most thankful for my daughter, but I am thankful for the tears that flow so easily down my face...because of the the comments left. I know each of these wonderful ladies and the beautiful lady who wrote the post and for that I AM THANKFUL!!!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for one of the greatest gifts of all: life. Without life, I'd have no husband to rub my back when he's sensed that I've had a rough day; no little boy, who's growing into a little man every day, to splash water all over my entire bathroom and then turn around and run into my arms with the biggest hug and kiss made only for me; no little angel who falls asleep while playing just to wake up with the biggest grin poking out from behind his pacifier; and no friends like you, Kim, who, for a reason only God knows, posts things like this just when I need a little "pick-me-up". So thanks, Kim, for being there as an instrument for God to remind all of us what's really important, whether you realize it or not. I'm also thankful for that little angel of yours who hugs me, waves at me, or just gives me the biggest grin every afternoon.

Kim Lawson said...

I am thankful for my three healthy and happy children. I am thankful for a thoughtful and wonderful husband. I am thankful for grandparents who come to a PTO program that only lasts minutes. I am thankful for friends that send me messages letting me know how much they care. I am thankful for having my grandmother one more day. I am thankful for a job that allows me to be home more, at school more, and on field trips more. I am thankful for this beautiful lady that started H3.

His Doorkeeper said...

Thank you so much for this post! I have SO MUCH to be thankful for and I pray everyday that I never forget to have a thankful heart in ALL THINGS!

Blessings!

HPES said...

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give THANKS to him and praise his name.

Thanks=yadah in Hebrew

Yadah is a Hebrew verb with a root meaning "the extended hand, to throw out the hand"; therefore, "to worship with extended hand." The antonym is to bemoan by wringing of the hands. Yadah means to willfully throw your hands up to praise with power. II Chronicles 20:19-20 is the yadah type of praise. Lifting your hands is almost always equivalent to a Yadah, especially when listening to music. When you Yadah to music you are worshiping the image of the creator/source of the music.

The literal root is to throw or to cast. When used in text, it means to confess or declare Who God is and what He does. (See Psalms 105:1, 106:1 for public confession of God's attributes.) When yadah is used in the context of praise, it means to confess or declare the attributes of God. When yadah is used in the context of prayer, it still retains the root meaning of confession. Instead of the confession of God's attributes, it becomes the confession of our sins to God. Yadah has a two-fold meaning: the confession of God's attributes and the confession of our shortcoming or sins. Judah comes from the root, yadah.

(sidenote: 2 Chronicles 20 is a chapter that I have held on to many times…Confessing to Him that I don’t know what to do, but setting my eyes on Him, praising Him before, during, after the battle…and watching Him deliver! An amazing story of the God’s power and the power of praise)

Robin said...

I am thankful for this blog and for the comments I read from God's precious children giving Him thanksgiving and praise! I am thankful that in Him we live and move and have our being and that no weapon formed against us shall prosper! I am thankful that His word will never return void and that it will accomplish everything for which it is sent!
Blessed be the name of the Lord Who daily loads us with benefits...Who forgives all our sins, heals all our diseases, redeems our lives from destruction, crowns us with lovingkindness and tender mercies, satisfies our mouths with good things so that our youth is renewed like the eagles... HALLELUJAH! BLESS THE LORD, O MY SOUL AND ALL THAT IS WITHIN ME! God bless us all with more of Him! Love and prayers!