Thursday, November 26, 2009

Don't Forget To.....



Because Baby Girl has been so sickly...we are on Day 11, thank you Lord for finally a day free from fever and hopefully on the up and up....needless to say, we are still tired.   It's been a rough go for the past week or so.  We never, NEVER stay home for Thanksgiving.  In fact, we've never had a Thanksgiving meal at our home in all the years we've been married.  Which seems like since the beginning of time.  

So, T-5 made a decision on Sunday that we would not be traveling anywhere, for any reason, during this time.  Baby Girl needed her rest...that is the best thing for her, her weakened body and her immune system. But still I doubted him. In the past, he's been known to say a bunch of bologna before, only to cave in at the last minute.  I assured him if he made this executive decision, and thus I bought a big fat turkey, he could not go back on his word. 


So, the extended family was called with the sad news, the turkey was bought, and the recipe preparation began.  I had never made a Thanksgiving meal before.  That's why God gave me a mother, a mother-in-law, and grandmothers. Sadly, none of them were to be at our home for Thanksgiving.  We would have to manage alone. Sure, at times, I've brought the standard one dish to add to the feast....maybe corn pudding, broccoli salad, a green bean casserole.....but the WHOLE THANKSGIVING MEAL....never. 


But now, I can proudly say, I have.  I conquered my first Thanksgiving meal. And it was all delicious. Apparently it was all so very delicious that T-5 ate more than his fair share of every dish at the table, with seconds or maybe it was thirds on dressing, mashed potatoes and ambrosia....and promptly sent himself directly to the bed shortly thereafter.  He ate enough to make him feel sick....sleepy tryptophan my stomach is about to bulge out of my skin....sick.  And he has been napping now for 3 hours....but the meal was a success....and dessert has yet to be had!  Yum-O!

In honor of this special day of thanksgiving to be spent at our home, the kids and I decided to make the festive decoration you saw in the photo above for an added thankful touch.  We found the idea in Family Fun magazine, where so many of our crafty creations come from.  Love that magazine. 

Here are my little gatherers....they had the best time roaming out in our woods finding leaves, twigs, pine straw, acorn hats, etc.  The weather has been perfect.  Wonderful memories.  Many thankful thoughts swirling around. And a snoring husband in the background.  :)




Hope y'all are having a fantastic Thankful THANKSGIVING.  We are all so very blessed.  All because we have a FATHER who showers us with His blessings ....not just on the last Thursday in November....but every single day. So remember to be thankful, to GIVE THANKS, not just on the last Thursday in November, but rather, every single day.  

2 comments:

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

I knew you could do the meal! I am sure it was great.

Lana said...

Glad little Miss is better. I love the decorations!