The elder son came home from church wanting to make a cake. Sure thing. What are Sunday afternoons for? I said naps, the kids voted for cake baking. The kids won. However, I still rule things around the kitchen, so when Elder son brought out a red velvet cake mix (knowing I need it to make red velvet cookies for the hospitality room this weekend at Baby girl's gym meet), I balked. And promptly bribed, suggested nicely, that we make a Rainbow Cake. A few weeks ago, maybe it was months, I saw a picture of one on MckMama's blog, (continue to pray for her son Stellan) and immediately filed it away to do sometime, knowing the kids would enjoy the process. They loved the idea.
And so the saga began:
T-5 was amazed at how well we did on our Rainbow Cake. I think the kids were amazed too, even though they made each layer and saw it bake. When I called them in after I had assembled and iced each layer, I cut into it to show their Dad and everybody said WOW. Now that's what you call "sweet success".
I cut them a big slab and put it on a platter....because it's tall and a plate just wouldn't do. In the photo below, I hope you can see the finger trails within each colored layer. Baby girl had to try EACH cake color. As a taste test. Which she later informed Middle boy that the purple and green tasted best and thus were her favorites, the red, eh, not so much. I tried explaining that all the cake layers taste the same....they were all made from the same mix, and food coloring does not give off any extra flavoring. But it was to no avail, she just looked at me like I was crazy and took another fingertip full of purple and licked it clean, declaring it the hands down color of choice.
This last pic may need a little explanation: I didn't have a cake dome high enough to cover this masterpiece, so we improvised with our big pasta pot. No spaghetti this week until the cake is gone. :)
**H3 connection --- I'm thankful for free Sunday afternoons where we can make Rainbow Cakes, and be reminded that HIS promises still stand true today!!
4 comments:
I didn't get a cake for my birthday, so do you think y'all could whip me up one of those? I think you should rename it, "Happy cake". It makes me happy, just looking at it.
Fun times, with some GREAT kids!
Love you all,
LLL
Looks Springish and yummy!!! I think Purple would have been the best as well. Would also be pretty neat as cup cakes everyone gets a different color!
Very pretty!! What a fun thing to do with your kiddos!!!
Btw, what kind of icing do you use?
why did i not think about using a big pot to cover mine. did you freeze it between layers. i did and it really helped it stay together
Post a Comment