Monday, November 30, 2009

Baby Girl Update....



This little turkey had me scared...real scared.

So, I left this afternoon, headed to the pediatrician's office, in hopes of finding answers.  Answers as to why Baby Girl has been sick for an entire month.  What I wasn't prepared for was the questions that would come before the answers. 

We arrived and were seen by a resident.  He worked her over well. Asked a lot of questions.  Made a lot of notes.  Was a sweet guy, but stated upon leaving the room....

"um, this sounds like something serious, maybe it's not bad like I think, but I'm going to go talk with the others and see what tests they want to run". 

Okay... you do that. I'll sit right here in this 6x8 patient room, with Baby Girl laid out on the paper sheet and wait.  ON PINS AND NEEDLES. 

A few minutes pass.  The pediatrician arrives.  We talk for several minutes, maybe 1/2 an hour. She works Baby Girl over real well, again.  She asks a lot of questions.  She says, "ahem" a lot while she nods her head. She checks the rash, explains some things to the resident standing behind her.  She checks her throat, mouth, heart, lungs, ears, feet, hands, eyes.  She pokes around on her stomach.  She explains some more things to the resident about a strawberry tongue, the sores in her mouth, the swelling in her feet, the red dots all over her body, etc.etc.  And then looks at me and says

"I'm explaining to him (the resident) why I think it isn't Kawasaki's Disease". 

Oh, so that's what he was thinking.

Then she says: 

"Well, she really shouldn't have been so sick for an entire month if there wasn't something going on.  Something other than strep and flu.  So we'd like to run some tests.  Get some lab work started.  We'll be checking for Kawasaki's, Leukemia, Mono and some others.  Our best news would be that she has Mono.  That's what we'll hope for, Mono.  You'll need to go down to the lab, have her blood drawn up, and we'll call you later to discuss the results and see where we need to go from there."

Alrightly then.  I had a friend who texted me to say their heart stopped when they read that's what they were testing for....and they couldn't imagine what I was feeling.  

I replied back...."I felt nothing.  I was too stunned." 

And that's the truth.  What do you feel?  A thousand, no a million, things, emotions, feelings, thoughts, worries, etc....all at the same time.  Which basically overloads your system, so therefore, it in essence, feels nothing.  I prayed in the patient room while she was being checked.  I prayed in the lab while she had blood curdling screams out of fear from the needle.  I prayed while we walked through the parking lot.  I prayed while we drove in the car. 

Okay that's a lie.  I didn't pray.  I begged.  I pleaded. 

And then the call came through.....

"Kimberly?"

Heart sinks. Mind races. Tears arrive.  And it's only been a nanosecond.  "Yes?"

"Hey, this is Dr. B, the test results are back.  Baby Girl has MONO."

"Oh my lands, I am so thrilled to hear you say that."

"Yep, it was the best case scenario....we're glad it's MONO too."

Y'all. It was a very agonizing afternoon.  To say the least.  But in the end, I gave thanks to the great Physician,  who just like always, was in control the entire time.  And I sent a text out to all who had been inquiring, worrying, wondering.....

"I never thought I would say this but PRAISE THE LORD she has mono."

That little turkey scared me.  But even a turkey with mono is still the cutest thing ever.  We are just so glad to have answers.  And, in reality, so quickly.  Each minute seemed like a sweet forever, but I don't think I would have lasted if it would have been an overnight test. By the way, isn't that turkey shirt so adorable? My good friend made it for her. So stinking cute. And will forever be remembered as the Mono-Turkey. :)

10 comments:

Joy said...

I was almost sick, reading the post...that Turkey scared me too! I knew TB had been really sick for a long time,but your post scared me and I was almost afraid to read the end! Thank the Lord...he really IS the Great Physician!!
Hugs and Kissess for you all and thank GOD for MONO!!!

The Deavours Family said...

THANK YOU JESUS!!!! So glad it was just mono! Tell TB Aubrey and Lainey are counting down the days until she comes to babysit! :)Get Well Soon Tyner Beth! We Love you!

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine what you were going thru. We're praying for ya'll.

Jennifer Simpson said...

Geez, Kimberly. I generally love ready the HOB blog....but I've never wanted you to GET TO THE POINT so much in my life. My heart was racing. I hear ya, Praise the Lord for mono....which is strange to say, but I suppose a blessing in diguise. Send hugs (no kisses, remember, it IS mono) to sweet baby girl, and get well soon!! Love to you all! God is Good!! xoxo

Barbara Chambers said...

So glad there wasn't anything too extreme, not that Mono isn't, but let's get perspective. The shirt is almost as cute as Baby Girl. Love you guys.

carla said...

OH Kimberly, I got so nervous for you and Temple when I read this. I'm so thankful your cutie just has mono. I had that my freshman year of college, along with cronic strep. It's absolutley no fun-but in keeping perspective, I'm so thankful for you and and your family that, that is all it is! I wish her a swift recovery. NOw go have a glass of wine-you have earned it! Carla

hicksfamilycircus said...

Oh this just made me sick reading it. So glad that the news was "good" if you can call it that!! Will be thinking of you!! Keep your chin up!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Jenn Jenn...that's EXACTLY how I was feeling, except multiplied by a million, while I was sitting in the exam room listening to them talk back and forth about all her symptoms, how this felt and how that looked, and the lymph nodes in her neck, under her arms, in her legs...blah blah blah...and then waiting for the call with the results....GET TO THE POINT ALREADY....I need to know!! :)

I appreciate all of your comments...they truly help, even when it was "just" Mono. :)

Maryalice said...

My goodness doctors can be so dramatic sometimes. I know they need to give you all the details, but I believe they could have tested for mono first before putting you through that. They did that to mom one time with Linnie and they ended up at Children's Hospital running the same tests but Linnie's included cystic fibrosis. I think it ended up just being bad sinus issues. I am so glad TB has mono. ;D She'll be a spunky monkey by Christmas.

The Cannons said...

Glad the little turkey is feeling better.:)