A few weeks back, the Middle Boy and I had that BIG DATE--all day event. His doctor appointment. Lunch together afterwards. A trip up and down the aisles of Costco. Matinee Movie to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. A visit to his Daddy's office. Free cups of flavored coffee and tea from their beverage room (where he had too much fun with the whole Keurig machine.) And culminating with a evening on the town to see Disney on Ice complete with a $12 snow cone in a Mickey Mouse Head. That's like the proverbial cherry on top....an expensive proverbial cherry, none the less. It's ice and water with flavoring and food coloring.....how does it cost $12???
Anyway, we had a great time. I announced early that morning on the drive to Children's Hospital, how excited I was about our BIG DATE. He rolled his big brown eyes and smiled every so sweetly and stated, "Mama, I really thought I'd be driving myself on my first BIG DATE. And if we wouldn't have been about to travel across 3 interstates in one fell swoop, and because state law prohibits 10 year olds from driving at all, there's a possibility I would have pulled over and let him behind the wheel. I am a sucker for the big brown eyes and sweet smile.....
We did have a super time together---all day and night. Such a joy for some one on one time with my Middle Boy. He rated everything on the ride home.
1st place was being released from activity restriction for his leg....obviously....and tying this spot for first was the trip to Dad's office.
2nd was the movie tied with Disney on Ice
3rd was Costco and Sam's ( we were on a mission, normally I wouldn't drag my kids to all the discount warehouses just for kicks)
and then after he stated all these facts....he so adorably announced....
And the GRAND PRIZE would be getting to spend the whole day with my Mom.
I know. I melted too. It was the best date ever. Too bad he's too young for me. And I'm already married. To his father. Otherwise...I'd be scooping him up before some other girl could snatch him as their own.
Baby Girl is still sickly. Her tonsils and lympy nodes look GARGANTUAN as the pediatrician stated. She will have surgery sometime soon to remove those tonsils. We pray this will help. At the very least, I hope it stops her from snoring like a Grizzly Man. :) She's puny, but a good sport about it all....and always a good patient. We've had a good time together this week she's been home from school. Pajamas are our clothing of choice!!
I thank you all for your sweet comments, calls, texts, hugs, and emails from the post a couple of days ago about our journey in parenthood. Just as a small update....Elder Son is surviving quite well. Last night was the first basketball game. He was eager to attend to cheer on his school. He says he's fine...and I believe him. The Dad and I discussed that it probably will be one of the best things that could have happened to him.....hard to see how it all will work that way right in the moment of hurt, but the future looks bright.
The new net was put up shortly after the family talk Tuesday night. Since then I have heard the distinct sound of the Thump, Thump, Thump of a basketball on every occasion possible. He's been out there every free 5, 10, or 15 minutes he's had.....before school in the mornings, right after homework, right before the games yesterday afternoon.
The House of Bowling will survive.
Will Middle Son become a famous running back with his bionic titanium leg?.....not yet.
Will Baby Girl be the next Mary Lou Retton on the Olympic Stage?.....not yet
Will Elder Son fly through the air like Michael Jordan?.....not yet.
Not yet....but we'll see....the future's out there, just waiting for each of them.
Are they the best kids ever???? You bet. That was a no brainer.
Have a great weekend y'all!!
3 comments:
I beg to differ Missy, but I have the best kids in the universe. Even though yours will do in a pinch. Love you guys and love the blogspot updates. It's my entertainment. Now you know how my life is.
Aww, I just read your basketball post and that's why I'm never letting my babies grow up! It's totally impossible (in my mind) that they will ever be big and have real problems. Ouch. Even though it's years from now, I cringe thinking about those teenage years that we all know will come!
Yay!! for the removal of those GARGANTUAN tonsils!! It's is going to make a big difference in LOTS of things... Keep me posted!
LLL
Post a Comment