And let me tell you....those two in the photo above are definitely two peas in a pod. And it may be a rotten pod.......
The kids always get a kick out of helping in the garden in any way possible. Pea Pickin' and Shellin' is just plain fun.....when you only have to do it once in a while, just for kicks. If they had to do it to put food on the table, well, I'm afraid we'd all starve. They only last through a couple dozen pea hulls before they tire of it completely. But it's fun for about 15 minutes.
So, mother gave everyone their own bowl, and let them go to town.
Last year around this time, I posted a photo of my father's sexy legs, while he was sitting atop a five gallon bucket shucking corn. You can't see it, because I accidentally DELETED that post and the entire 2 years' worth of our family blog for that matter last October.
However, I learned my lesson. Not just about deleting our blog, but about posting photos of his sexy legs. It seems he wanted me to take them "off the internet", apparently a few folks made mention of it to him in passing. I thought his legs were pretty myself, all tan and thin....and he wasn't even wearing those diabetic socks in that photo.
At any rate, he was deeply offended. Not really. But to appease him, I let him rant to me for a bit about asking permission to post his photo ( like he's some celebrity or something, I must go through his agent and be certain to only put flattering photos of his best side, blah blah blah).
I said, forget it, you don't even know what "an internet" is......so I think I'm safe with leaving photos of you out in cyberspace. This time I did tone it down, for all you ladies who were worked up over his 75 year old bird legs.....I'm only showing his lovely tan forearms and hard-working hands this time around. Y'all aren't getting me in trouble again.
- I include this last photo because it reminds me off my childhood. I've said it before and I'll probably say it a hundred times again, I love that my kids get to spend moments like this with their grandparents. Some of my fondest memories in childhood were spent on my Granny or PawPaw and MawMaw's porches. In the summer. With garden vegetables galore.
5 comments:
Yes, yes and yes! I still like sit down and shell with my grandparents. No "calmer, peaceful" place in this big crazy world!!
oops! Looks like my Grandbabies will miss out on this one. I like the pea sheller at the farmer's market.I did shell some peas with John's mother and sisters and it was fun!
My pea shelling time frame was more like TB's; a good 15 minutes and some purple fingers and I was done!
Great times!
Well, we didn't shell the peas on our wooden porch (didn't have one) but my Mother and I would take a certain bowl and go outside in the backyard.. oh, that's a good memory.
She passed on but thanks for jogging my brain on that one.
Ok Kim, I love these. My girls have shelled peas this year with both of their gmommas. I didn't get a picture of it though. Well you get your pea shelling and I'll get my blueberry pickin. Cherish thos pictures with your dad in them with your babies. They are precious!!
Post a Comment