My stove area is in the middle of the island counter in my kitchen, and just looks ugly to me when you try to decorate around it. So, I figured now was a good time to try it out for myself. I usually always forget these good ideas I read about on blogs or see in magazines! And I was even thrifty with my finds this go around. I had already found some cute, black & lime green square plates that I loved and wanted to use. I was fortunate to stumble upon a flat black sheet ($3) as the base and a lime green curtain panel ($7) for laying in a swirl atop. Next, I just added in a long strand of leftover zebra print ribbon I keep on hand for stationary projects. And voila! An inexpensive, no sew project (because Ma Ingalls, I'm not) that I think turned out pretty good. What do you think?
Another great little idea (layering fruit by color) came from the pages of Southern Living, my favorite magazine. I used some Hemingway Hurricane vases as my serving bowls, and layered my fruit and cornbread salad right inside! Although it wasn't actually a "cooking camp" session for us, the kids did help me out a lot in the kitchen. Several folks have asked, so I've included the recipes for the cornbread salad and pasta salad over on our recipe blog. The cornbread salad is so yummy---my secret is that I use Wickles Pickle Relish and pickle juice!! My brother and Dad really enjoy this salad...so good in the summer time with everything fresh from the garden!
Do you have any creative thoughts for entertaining, a fantastic summer recipe or a must read book recommendation? If so, I'd love to hear about them. I'm ALWAYS looking for new ideas, yummy food finds, and a great read!!

5 comments:
Everything looks snazzy!
Thanks for the book recommendation! I will have to add this one to my list. Also, are the Wiggles pickles something that is easy to find? I looked in our Walmart today (in Texas), but no luck. I'm coming back to Bama Country on Sunday, where can I stock up? I'll have to add those to my list of special items. When we lived in Oklahoma (and Texas too) I could NOT find Golden Eagle syrup! OMG, that is a MOST on my breakfast table!That was always on my Christmas list, to get a case of Golden Eagle syrup!
OK, I meant to say that is a MUST, a MUST have, a "Can't live without it", a I "get nervous when I open the next to the last jar" type of thing...
Turned out cute.Love the cover the stove idea.
Hey Cuz. Have you read "Same Kind of Different As Me"? If not, go get it! Very touching.
Jenn
Post a Comment