
We had not planned a beach trip for this summer. In fact, we had all but ruled out completely, a beach trip, this summer. Broken Leg Boy kind of made different plans for all of us.....bless his heart.
However, we did travel to stay with Dad while he was visiting one of his project sites recently, which just so happens to be along the coast. However, it's on the Mississippi coast. Not exactly the home of pristine white beaches and gorgeous blue waters. Ever been to a beach in MS, or LA, or TX???? Yea....In fact, it's the exact opposite. We are so spoiled to the gulf coast shores of Alabama and Florida.
So, I made an executive decision, which was encouraged by some pleading from the kids, to drive back across the state line and make a visit to the pretty beaches. We loaded up, traveled a little over an hour, paid $5 to get a parking space at the public beach....and BAM....there we were.
At the beach, for the day. We felt just like the locals....probably because we were surrounded by them. :)
I was skeptical about Broken Leg Boy, but he is doing SO SO well..... here, just take a look for yourself:
- Initially he sat along the shoreline and let the waves roll in on him.

- But it didn't take long of watching his brother dive into the waves.....

- And see his sister embrace the ocean like her long lost friend.....until finally....

- He finally had to embrace it for his very own. So, off they went, with the leg floating along.

- And it wasn't so bad. Actually, it was great. So great, that the big brother came and took Broken Leg Boy out for a spin as well. The mom had worried about the circumstances, but all worked out fine. Life was good.

- In fact, life was real good.

- Who's this beach bathing beauty?

- She's so cute.

- Nope, I don't have any family beach shots. Not this year.
- We didn't eat at all our favorite seafood restuarants, although we did stop in for a early supper nearby...photos of that to come soon.
- We didn't stay for a week.
- We didn't go to the parks and let the kids go crazy on go-carts, bumper boats, water slides and such. Not a chance with that leg.
- We didn't take a trip inside the souvenir stores (thank the Lord for small favors).
- We didn't get to crab hunt.
- We didn't walk the shoreline looking for shells.
- We didn't lay on the beach under the night sky to see the stars meet the sea.
- Nope. We didn't do any of that.
But let me tell you.....it may have been one of the best beach days of our lives. Look at these smiles. It was a lot of work. I couldn't do it but one day like that. And I don't think Broken Leg Boy would be able to make it more than one day either. The lugging of the bags, and blankets, and towels, and toys, and chairs, and water bottles. The crutches digging down in the sand with each step.
The beach beckoned us....and we responded to the call. We were ever so thankful.....for that one day on the beach.
And it was all worth it, when Broken Leg Boy kept looking up at me in the ocean, on the sand, and in the car ride home and said, "this is the greatest day, thank you mama...I feel normal again."

7 comments:
please email me the next to last picture.
Thanks
T5
Okay....at the age I am now I think we can officially say that I am just a big ole sentimental cry baby because that is what I did when I read this post!
Now that's what motherhood is all about!
Love the pics!
Just precious!
Mrs. Joy...sorry you cried. Didn't mean for it to do that. But I guess even at my age, I must be a sentimental cry baby, because when I read your sweet comment, I TEARED UP. What the???? :)
And Kim, I think it is much of what motherhood is about...making the most of what we were given for this summer, anyway. :)
Grace under pressure. You have handled it well.
Post a Comment