Thursday, July 09, 2009

A couple months ago, we had some EXOTIC visitors....and they didn't even wear clothes.

Ha. Monkeys always look.

Seriously, back in the spring, on a fine Saturday morning, TB an I were outside scurrying about. She heard this weird noise and came running to me.....saying there was a peacock in one of our trees.

Silly little girls. What an imagination. But lo and behold, look what I saw when she walked me over to the area in question:



Yep, that's a peacock. In our tree. In our yard. One fine Saturday morning. I live no where close to a zoo, bird habitat or peacock farm. Where did this beauty come from??

Of course, our beloved Lab, Sadie, had to come "protect" us from this creature. She barked and pointed and gave a big hullabaloo all around the tree trunk. The peacock was not amazed, he was not even amused. He never even flinched. But Sadie was proud of herself all the same.



Then, of course, after Sadie caused a ruckus, announcing to anyone outdoors:
  • ALERT, ALERT, an intruder has crossed our property line!!

well, that just encouraged Mr. Jingles, our feline pet, to venture out from his place of leisure. And he puffed his chest out to announce that since he was from the Tiger family, we all needed to step aside and let him utilize his genetic prowress.

Seriously? Can you even find him in this photo? He's there, pretending to be on an all out hunting spree. Which he easily became bored with for two reasons. 1) the peacock was again unfazed by these aggressive animal encounters and 2) Mr. Jingles has the attention span of a toddler.

  • He's in here, I promise, just look close.


So, when all else failed, and the domestic animals who actually reside here full time gave up their ADT security search, TB and I stood out in the woods and watched the pretty bird. He never would come down from the tree and strut his beautiful feathers for us, but who would when there's a ferocious eye-liner wearing cat and a bionic leg dog below?

Apparently, after over half an hour passed, Mr. Peacock felt he had acquired a fair amount of safety. And he loved our place. How do I know? He called for his girlfriend to come over.

Which meant we heard much more of that incessant screaming those birds do. And that brings me to the question of why they can look so splendid and sound so horrid?



However, his girlfriend must think the sound his voice is RICO SUAVE, because she came directly on over, right when he yelled. Dumb bird. Lose him and his peafowl tail feathers. You could do so much better. Find a fowl who won't take you from forest to forest like some traveling bird gypsy.

And with that, I went back inside. I can only do so much fowl therapy before I need a break from the drama, and screeching. Only an hour or so passed before TB came running in to announce they had fled our trees.

The peacocks were here for but a mere fine Saturday morning. Apparently our place is not their paradise. To which I say good riddance you stuck up bird. I should have let my cat pounce on you when I had the chance.

Or maybe, just maybe, after my ranting, girlfriend forced Mr. Peacock to settle down and find a true home of their own. You know, so they could start a family and decorate their own nest and such. And if so, good for her.

Or maybe, they are like my Daddy found out after inquiring around our area, occasionally they venture out from their owners for a couple of days just roaming around, never going too many miles from home, and then later return. Kind of like a peacock vacation, I guess. I have yet to find out who they belong to, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always though a woman should stay by her man wherver he goes....

Anonymous said...

thought....too much reliance on spell check

Anonymous said...

wherever.... man I didn't proof it well

Lana said...

Hey anonymous... sounds like you should stand by your woman... she spells better than you!

~The Lovely~