I believe we've hit the mother load of richness. And I'll tell you how I know. Under normal circumstances (as in a betty crocker 9x13 family size box mix) we can finish off a pan of brownies in less than a day, if I've went shopping for milk the day before. Proper milk amounts are key to scarfing down a batch of chocolatey goodness.
However, when you make them from scratch with real chocolate....and add in some cappucino, caffeine related goodness in the form of icing.... well, we had to pace ourselves, even with a fresh gallon of 2%.And I must inform you that we found this little recipe on another blog: Let's Eat
There are some really good recipes on her site, we'll definitely be trying some more! But here's how the kids did on their first attempt at homemade brownies and cappucino frosting.
- Rivers began with unwrapping the baker's chocolate squares. I was busy helping the other two get set up for their tasks when I looked over to see him making a weird face. He said, "a couple of small slivers of chocolate fell out of the box when I was getting the squares out and this stuff tastes bad, mama. Like, real bad. It tastes like bitter coffee"......
I just had to laugh and then explain that what were we using was UNSWEETENED baking squares. Chocolate comes from a cocoa bean, and doesn't taste like a Hershey Bar until lots of sugar has been added!!
- I could make a great living if I sold tickets to crack eggs..... of course I guess I'd be the same one forking out the money for the tickets, so nevermind.
- A new technique learned this session was "leveling" the flour with a butter knife. Is this how you do it?? I don't know....it's just the way I remember my mom and Granny and MawMaw doing it. Of course the kids loved it because they were allowed to bang around making a mess with white stuff!!
- Adding the SEMI-SWEET chocolate chips....again, trying to snitch a few bites of chocolate would not be a good idea here.
- Getting "eye level" with the measurements.
You would probably skip right over this photo, if I didn't have a little "aha" moment to go along with it. Please notice the amount of milk. A sibling had shouted the measuremen tacross the kitchen to Rivers...."one third cup". He understood them to say ONE and a THIRD cup.
There's a difference in those measurements. We learned a lesson from this mistake. However, it was after we had already tried to mix up the frosting.....and wondered why it just wouldn't thicken up!!!
- But never fear....we started over and came out with some thick cappucino goodness to spread atop the brownies!!
Yep, just like KFC, it was finger lickin' good. Just remember to cut small bites, every few hours, and whatever you do, don't have them with a cup of Java....you'll be bouncing off the walls for days. Recipes are on the recipe blog.
1 comment:
The Bowling children blessed John and I with a plate full of these wonderful brownies. UMMM UMMM GOOD!
Post a Comment