However, no matter how much all-star material you may have, you CANNOT play baseball with a broken femur. I'm no surgeon, but I'm thinking that if you aren't supposed to put any weight on that leg with the rods in it, then you probably shouldn't be sliding into homeplate on it either.....
I have a very good friend who was his coach this year. A special friend who actually goes WAY back....and I do mean way back, to the 80's, even. He was my best guy friend in high school, and I love him even more today. His wife is a pretty special lady to me, too. We both share a huge love for books.....she's in one of my book clubs and we have the best time talking about everything we read. They are both sweet folks.
Walt's coach was one of the first to get to us in the hospital, right after the accident. Walt actually had a game that night, and when his coach found out it was Walt in the ambulance that had left the schoolyard, he came roaring in to the ER right behind us!
When I was crying too much, after the doctor informed me that surgery was definitely going to happen to my little man, it was his Coach that I looked to in the doorway to call Temple for me. He also comforted Walt through the pain as best he could, we always have funny moments with him around. Walt loves baseball, and his coach.
Anyway, I was thankful he was there with us. So, when he called to let me know he had went ahead and ordered Walt's ALL-STAR jersey and hat, I could have cried. In fact, I think I did tear up. Walt missed several chances to see his teammates play. Some nights he just wasn't feeling quite up to traveling to the park, and other times, we were out of town. However, this past Monday night, Temple drove him over to sit with his team for one last game.
Their final ALL-STAR game. And he got to sit in the dugout, with his jersey and hat on, and feel almost normal again. And afterwards, he was also able to go out on the field to shake hands with the other team. Then, to top it off, he was able to stand alongside his friends on first base line and have his name called to come out and recieve his ALL-STAR medal. He can get around good with those crutches.....see for yourself....
4 comments:
Way to go Waltman!! and Mom.
I am proud of you both. ( and the rest of the Bowlings)
So proud of you Walt-man!
awww...bless his heart. i hope he never has another broken bone again. dave broke his ankle a few weeks before school was out in college (on a scavenger hunt; dodging cow patties, i guess)and he had to stay in auburn that summer; he says it was awful being banged up during the summer. i can only imagine how your little man has felt all summer, so i'm glad he got to have his "all-star" moment!! changing the subject, i know i should be able to figure this out, but who is the team coach??
So Jonesy doesn't even get his name in it??
Post a Comment