I've spoken about the kid's great grandparents numerous times on the blog. I think it is wonderful that my children get to spend lots of time with their grandparents as well as their GREAT grandparents. Well, this week is no exception. We have Grandmama and Grandaddy staying with us!
Which meant they were able to see the Jr. High football game tonight....with their great-grandson playing!!! Remember....he's a 12 year old 7th grader....and I had prepared Grandaddy ahead of time with the fact that we wouldn't get to see a lot of him on the field of play. But to be sure to watch on the kick-off return team, because that's where the action (if any arrived) would be.
And sure enough that's where the action was....kick-off return. And here's where the tale goes in two different directions.....
Here's what happened, essentially, ....however, please remember I was merely a cheerleader....I do not pretend to actually know about football. And to be completely honest, I did not even realize he was on the field, and thus did not see this play, but was told of it by several.
The ball was kicked near Rivers....it landed on the ground....he looked at it, fell on top of it, and was hit. End of story.
On the ride home, only he and I were in the car, so I gingerly inquired about that particular play.
Me: So, did it hurt when they hit you tonight??
Him: No mam.
Me: So, you got the ball kicked to you for the first time.....that's great. Why didn't you pick that ball up and run with it????
Him: (silence)
Me: What did Coach say when you came to the sideline???
Him: He said, "You can't stare at the ball, son" .
And here is the version from the viewpoint of his 81 year old GREAT grandfather (Grandaddy) who was re-telling the evening's events to Rivers' grandfather (Pappy) via the telephone:
"Oh, man, Pappy.....you sure missed it tonight. That Rivers. He played some good football. That ball was down and he knew JUST WHAT TO DO....he fell on it before anyone else could get it and covered it up. And then another time he caught one in the air....just caught that kick-off right in the air. And boy did he hold on tight....I thought for sure he was about to squeeze that ball til it popped he had a hold of it so tight. Yep, you sure missed it tonight."
Now, in the defense of my eldest son.....that sweet 12 year old 7th grader, please allow me to remind you that he just came off from a week home with the flu. Lost 10 pounds in 4 days during that illness, and HAS NEVER HAD A BALL KICKED TO HIM IN HIS LIFE. So, all I'm saying is I would have probably fallen on it too!! :)
But there's even more news....with photos. Our guys were ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, and one of our 9th graders had already returned a punt for a touchdown earlier in the night. He's fast. Real fast. Anyway, the other team quit kicking it back there to him, instead they kicked it to our middle line of what I affectionately call our "little people". Because, that's what they are..... and look, right there lined up on the end of that middle row for kick-off return is my little guy.
And guess what....he at least learned a lesson from that earlier kick where he fell on top of it. This time he CAUGHT it in the air!! But then, even though he had some blockers, and by his own admission during our post game conversation, he hesitated. And thus.....
was brought down...to the ground....face plant in the field. Look....I'm just there for photography, but it took all the restraint I could muster not to run onto the field during the water break and shove those blue helmets in the ground.
And I'll tell you what's even more important than that.....his GREAT grandfather came and sat on the bleachers, watched every play of that ballgame and was PROUDER than a PEACOCK.
- Now that, my friends, is priceless.
7 comments:
I don't know how you watch your little guy with those big, ole, mean boys on top of him!! It makes me mad when they tackle Honeybun!! I know your proud of him, and more so that the "great" grands can share in this special time!! Love you girl!!
How precious??? I enjoyed sitting by Pappy during the game. He made my night. Love you all! Mary
Precious blog. Memories are moments for sure. I know you'll cherish that night for a long time! Well, not the boys tackling your baby but the great-grands part!!
Awesome!
Oh yes, Grandparents are proud of every move their Grandchildren make. I can't imagine when it is their kids. But I have already told them that they will have to shuttle me to everything they do! Proud of you Rivers!
You know, they always tend to take what their "Male Figures" as the gospel, so I'm sure Rivers sees it Pappy's way.:)
Preciuos memories. Great job Rivers!
Post a Comment