Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rest in peace, Johnny Castle. (a.k.a Patrick Swayze)


Y'all. My early teen years were formed directly around the events happening at Kellerman's.


From the time of it's release in the summer of 1987 until I realized that I was never going to be a real dancer with Patrick Swayze (which may or may not have been realized much later in my life), I watched Dirty Dancing dozens of times.


And I played the soundtrack repeatedly in my Nissan, 4 door, stick shift, hoping to make it at least "sound" cool, since it didn't "look" too cool.


I still get weak in the knees if I hear one of these 3 top songs from my youth:
  • I've Had The Time of My Life
  • Hungry Eyes
  • She's Like the Wind

I remember that summer, and subsequent ones watching it on videotape, honestly thinking that my life could turn out just like Jennifer Grey's.

  • Patrick Swayze himself, or at the very least some good looking guy who could dance well, would scoop me off my feet from the dance floor, and firmly announce, "No one puts Baby in the corner".

And I would dress in my finest pale pink chiffon short dress, which would flow in the wind as I ran down the makeshift aisle to leap into the arms of my dancing dreamboat.

Man, oh, man....those were the days. I was 14. I felt pretty sure I knew exactly what my future plans held.....and they had been set in stone thanks to two box office hits in the summer of 1986 and 1987.

I was certain I had narrowed down my life choices to these two scenarios:

  • A.) offering dance lessons by day at a posh resort, and doing the steamy salsa by night with my partner, Patrick Swayze

or

  • B.) "cruising" around Fightertown USA, waiting for my boyfriend Pete "Maverick" Mitchell to pick me up on his motorcycle, while wearing his flight jacket and a white T-shirt, after a hard day as a TOP GUN pilot.

Even at 14, a girl had to have goals.

I'll leave you with the mention of two other songs that can still make my heart skip a beat and take me right back to summer nights in the late 80's...

  • You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling
  • Take My Breath Away

So....what songs do you love from your favorite movies during your teen years???? Did you swoon over any male actors on the big screen???

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who thought dancing a special with Johnny at the Shelldrake would be fun??? Or watching Maverick play volleyball with Goose. Shirtless.

What? You were never 14 once....and had a slight crush on Tom Cruise? Before he went all scientology on us? I bet he still looks good playing volleyball, shirtless.

8 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

I loved Patrick Swayze back then. Heck, I have to admit, I love him now!! I had those very same dreams of being scooped up and lead to the dance floor! And want to know something else? At some of my sleepovers way back then, when we would watch Dirty Dancing over and over, I would pause the VCR right at that moment Johnny was slipping out of bed and you could see his awesome butt cheek! I'm sure you now which scene I'm talking about. Could you post that one, too? ;o

And don't forget about Swayze in the movie Ghost! Oh, my!

And, yes, Top Gun was also a fav!

I think this calls for a girls night of watching all these favs from our teen years!!

The Cannons said...

Right there with you, girl! My Dad would not let me watch any of those, but my "Worldy Grandmother"ha always had those movies and taped the soaps everyday! Can you believe she DVR's her soaps at 67?! And I still go back in time everytime I watch Dirty Dancing!

carla said...

OMG...so true. I had Tom Cruise's photo in my locker in the seventh grade. You know the one; where he's sitting a top the fighter jet giving the thumbs up! I remember seeing both those movies in the theater at 12 and 13 respectively! And many years later, I'm proud to say that I own both of these movies on DVD!

I'm so sad about Patrick Swayze. I have to tell you though...one of my all time favorite movies that he is in, besides Dirty Dancing and Ghost, is Point Break! OMG...loved him and Keanu! ha

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Kim....WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!! Girl's night "in"---sign me up. Surely the technology of today would allow us to pause scenes with even greater clarity than before. Your comment made me think of that waterfall with Kevin Costner in Robin Hood....might need to add that to the must see movie list for our gathering. :)

I'm sad to say I do not own either of these on DVD....but I sure would like to. :)

Lana said...

I must really be old, because my memory really fails me. To remember lines in the movie and even the color of Baby's dress......I am most impressed.

Maybe I need a refresher course.. I could chaperone the girls night in, and just so you know, I DO have chaperoning experience!!

Joy said...

Ok, I'll take the bait...I had visions of dancing the night away with Johnny!!! All those bodies, all that testosterone in a room...it stil makes me swoon! lol And Ghost, another classic! I have watched them both, too many times and still love watching them!

Kim Lawson said...

I do need the girls night "in" very soon! I am going on day number 6 with sick children!

What about Blu-ray? Think those are available on Blu-ray? Oooh, ahhh!!

And I am all for Lana's supervision! :)

Anonymous said...

The volleyball scene you mention?

I broke my (VHS) copy of "Top Gun" because of that scene. Watch, rewind, watch in slow motion, pause, start, watch, rewind..

.. and then one very sad day, the tape went snapp-o.

Those were the days.

And now? Kelly Whatsermug is a lesbian and Tom Cruise went Christian Scientist.

All righty.