Friday, February 12, 2010

Cooking Camp at House of Bowling---Blueberry Snack Cake

So, we've been doing  a lot of cooking over here at House of Bowling, we (and I mean I) have just neglected to post it on the blog.....but no more. These photos can't just hang out in a cooking camp folder on my laptop and expect to feel loved.  So, here they are, and expect some more posts like this to come soon.

This particular day we made Blueberry Snack Cake......a yummy recipe I found through another sweet gal's blog who also has fun in the kitchen cooking with her precious girls...Life's Surprises.  She describes this snack cake to be like a big blueberry biscuit....and that's exactly what I'd say it was like as well. Thanks for the recipe!!

My kids enjoyed making it, loved poking the plump blueberries sticking out of the top when it was fresh from the oven, and they also liked the flavor. Elder Son woke up on Saturday morning....right before lunch....eh, teens....therefore, he didn't particpate in the cooking camp portion....just the taste tester portion.

His words, while warming up his second helping in the microwave, "this is good, Mama, I just wish it had sugar inside it like it does on top."

Clearly, had he been slaving away in the kitchen all morning with the rest of us, instead of sleeping his young life away, he would have known it DID have sugar on the inside as well.  We just may, or may not, have went a little over the top with the sprinkling of sugar on the outside before putting it in the oven. :)

Here you'll find the cast of ingredients:


The big lesson for this session....learning to scrape down the edge of the spoon to get an accurate measurement. 

Any fallen blueberry that didn't make it to the bowl, was fair game to be popped into the mouth of whoever caught it.  And in the end, Middle Child and I just ate whatever was left in the carton ourselves. We love fresh blueberries.

The "sprinkling" of sugar on the top of the snack cake begins.  This took a little longer than should be expected, due to the fact that everyone had to practice their own signature Emeril imitations with different variations of his BAM!! 


See what I mean....we practiced sprinkling with A LOT of sugar.  No wonder Elder Son couldn't taste the sugar on the inside. It would appear that it was all on the outside!!! :)

Now I'd like to ask you to go back to the top of this post.  Look again at the photo of the "cast of ingredients".  See anything odd?  Sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, milk, sugar, blueberries, eggs, etc. etc.......it's all there.  Plus one little extra character.  The kids set up the ingredients while I went to retrieve our camera.  They were so proud of their set-up when I returned to the kitchen.  Proud and giggly.  I didn't realize what the joke was until after I had taken the first photo.  Apparently, we have folks from all over who want to participate in House of Bowling cooking camps.  :)

Slinky Dog (from the movie Toy Story) 

3 comments:

Raegan & Caleb said...

That looks yummy. The banana split pie was a hit at the Hanson House. I bet this would too!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Raegan...Banana Split Pie ROCKS! So glad you tried it!

Life throws you surprises! said...

I am so glad you enjoyed!