Well, the month of "love" has arrived. Some savor every heart filled minute of it, others do not. I, for one, think Valentine's Day is overrated and just another hugely commercialized event. Seriously, do we need a 4 foot bear holding a heart that says "U R CUTE" , or a box of chocolates, or a whistling stuffed ape wearing kissed lip boxers, or a few dozen roses, or whatever else they're selling, to make us feel loved? To make us feel whole?? I think not.
However, there's nothing wrong with any of it, I just think it's a tad bit over the top now a days. That's all I'm saying. Sure, I'll be giving my own kids a little something when the 14th rolls around, and I'll probably even give that man I married a card that sings "Wild Thing, You make my Heart sing"....but all in all, I want them to feel loved in the month of March and September and throughout the year...not just during this time.
And most importantly, I want them to know what really makes a person feel whole....having the Lord to reside in your heart. Because no matter how much I love them, my children, my husband, my friends, my family members.....and folks I love my kids a TON, just as you all do.....but can you even realize how much more our Heavenly Father loves them? Loves me? Loves you?
It's more than a TON, I can tell you that.
And He is a perfect example of what our verse this month will be about.....so without further adieu.....the verse for February:
"Love is patient, love is kind."
~1 Corinthians 13:4(a)
6 words. That's all it is. And now you are saying, "Oh, Kimberly, that is too short. We've heard it a million times. It doesn't even have any real meat to it....etc.etc." But read those 6 words again, slowly, really listening to the meaning in every word.
Love IS patient, love IS kind (not it can be at times, or usually, or most often, or sometimes never, or any phrase you stick in it's place). Sure it's hard. But it's something we need to work on (or at least I know I need to work on it), it is required of us as a Christian to become closer to God in our daily walk, and in doing so, we will become more Christ-like. That is our ultimate goal. No, we will never be perfect. In fact, we will always be sinners, far from perfect, but it doesn't mean we can't have more of Christ in our lives, showing more of him daily to the world. Less of us, more of HIM.
So here's your challenge for the month....and really for as long as you choose to act on this verse. Hopefully, prayerfully, it will be a lifetime challenge. All month, use love as your guide. More importantly, use HIS love as your guide. Be patient. Be kind. We have no idea what blessings the Lord may have in store for us.....when we reach the end of a trial....so be patient, be kind, love the moment the Lord has given you.
- In the grocery check out line which is 5 people deep when the lady rolls her eyes at your stack of coupons.
- In the car on the way to that very important appointment when you are suddenly cut off in traffic.
- When the kids spill a bowl of cereal, with milk, all over the table, chair and floor.
- When your boyfriend decides he needs his space and it's just not working out between you two.
- When the infertility treatments don't work.
- In the workplace when you know you have the best plan of action for the office, but no one will listen.
- In the church when you are called to handle just one more task.
- When your husband disagrees with your line of thinking...and you know you are really right.
- When the kids have melted marshmallow goo stuck to your hardwood, leftover from their roasting session in the living room fireplace.
However, love will linger on the lips like honey. Knowing we are truly LOVED by our creator, the one who has shown us more mercy and patience and kindness than we have ever deserved. Be like Him. Look, I know it will be easier said than done....my patience and kindness have been tested and the month has hardly started really. I'm going to continue clinging to this verse though, a constant reminder of what love really is....straight from the words of the One who has shown us real love. "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." ~1 John 4:10
It is very difficult for our human nature to really love some people. And certainly our flesh does not always want to love as the Lord does, so unconditionally. But try it. Open your heart and let a little love in this month. Practice a little kindness. A little more patience than usual.
Yes, it's only 6 words. 6 wonderful words. Hide them in your heart.

6 comments:
Ok...where were you hiding last night and this morning??? I know you had to have been at my house to have known that I, "I", needed to hear that verse, read that verse and hide that verse in my heart! You are a blessing in my life and I love you! Thank you for reminding me that "Love is patient, love is kind." I need to go and call my daughter...
We all need that verse taped to our computer, desk mirror, car dash... to remind us daily. Thank you for that verse.
Lisa Rushing
You rock, KTB... and I, as the Fab ChrisJean needed to be reminded of those powerful 6 little words.... Even when the hurt and madness are thick and won't easily budge...the marshmallow goo stuck to your heart....A real love is patient and kind.
Thank you ladies for the boost. It's always nice to hear some feedback from the verse choice. Glad it is already speaking to you!
Lisa...thanks for your comment, too. I had no idea you even read the blog, so I appreciate you taking the time to post a thought on here! :)
So I got the facebook comment and posted my own Valentine's Day rant before I caught up with your blog. It's amazing how well they go together. It's also amazing how you mentioned being cut off in traffic...
Love you.
patient- greek word makrothumia- longsuffering- like a candle that has a very long wick. Because its wick is long, it is prepared to burn for a very long time. It is ready to forbear and patiently wait until a certain person finally comes around, makes progress, changes or hears what you are trying to communicate or teach him. This is the picture of a person whose feelings for someone else are so passionate that he doesn't easily give up or bow out; instead, he keeps on going and going and going, even though the other person doesn't quickly respond to him.
kind- the greek word chresteumai- means to be adaptable or compliant to the needs of others. When agape is at work in you life you don't demand others to be like you. Instead, agape makes you want to bend over backwards to become what others need you to be for them! Thus the word "kind" portrays a willingness to serve and the change in order to meet the needs of others. This is completely opposite of selfishness and self-centeredness.
So this verse could be translated: "Love passionately bears with others for as long patience is needed; love doesn't demand others to be like itself, but is so focused on the needs of others that it bends over backwards to become what others need it to be..."
This is all quoted from Rick Renner's book- Sparkling Gems from the Greek
Post a Comment