Saturday, February 27, 2010

Elder Son.

So, a few weeks ago, Elder Son came home with an application to enter the Campus King & Queen contest for the high school. The competition is based on the students academic qualities, their community involvement, school activities, sports, clubs, etc. etc. 

 As a 7th grader, he was ineligible to win the title of "King" as that spot was limited to a 10-12th grade guy. But we encouraged him to join the fun and turn his form back in as scheduled. He struggled with wanting to participate, as none of his friends were doing so, but his Dad and I both reminded him the interview with the judges would be good practice for him....now and later in life.  And the information for the application and interview, we will keep on the computer so that we just add to it each year, and by the time he reaches his senior year, we should have a great "resume" of sorts on our hands to get him started in the real world, hopefully for help with scholarships for college, programs for work, etc. etc.

Elder Son went to his interview on a Sunday afternoon at the school....and he rocked it.  They asked him what was his favorite subject, he replied, math and science.  They asked him what quality he looked for in a friend, he replied, loyalty. They asked him things like who he would like to trade places with, what he liked about living in Smalltown, USA, his favorite sport, etc.etc.  and what he would change about himself if he could....."I'd be tall". The judges thought he was so cute, they loved him. Of course I knew they would.  I ask "What's not to love"?

At any rate, a couple of weeks later it was time for the big event.  The scores had long been tallied and now the stage was waiting.  Elder Son was awarded Campus King 2nd Alternate.  See how cute he is in the photo below?


Yep.  That's my boy.  All grown up in a sport coat.  And from the looks of the photo, you can see why he wants to be "tall".  However, those boys have had about 5 extra years of growing than my man, who at present happens to be only 3 inches shorter than his mother. Sad, but true. I'm assuming he will pass me, possibly even before he become an actual teenager. Sob.

Now here's where I could end this story and you could all ooohh and aaahh about that sweet, good looking, 12 year old that took a place in the high school Campus King contest. I'll wait here for a minute while you ooohhh and aaahhh some more. He deserves it. 

But I would be remiss if I didn't finish the story.  This is kind of like back in the late 70's and early 80's, when I would come in the bank to see my mom at work, and I'd be wearing a stylish sweater or that coveted rabbit fur coat, and one of the tellers would say, "Oh, Kim, you look so cute, where'd you get that outfit?"  And my mom would reply, "oh, that's from the hand-me-down bags that her cousin Tiff sent."  And that same teller would have fume coming out of her ears and say, "Now Joan, when somebody asks that all you have to say is it came from Parisian, because it probably did, originally, and there's no need to say it came from the hand me down bag."

My mom never could bring herself to say that though.  We didn't really care if it came from the hand me down bag, we just liked the clothes, were proud to wear them and greatly appreciated the thoughtfulness of our family. That was the real story.

Now, back to Campus King.  That picture you see, of the 3 winners.....well that was the entire set of contestants for the Campus King portion.  3.

Sure, Campus King and Queen was open to all the students at the high school. Anyone in any grade could enter.  Only 3 boys choose to do so. And my sweet boy was up against 2 senior boys.  That's right, that little 7th grader was pitted against those 12th grade guys.  His application to submit for the interview with the judges had only 1 years worth of credentials at BHS....there's had 6.   And those are two wonderful senior guys, with many accomplishments.  


But I was just proud of my little guy for entering.  For doing so well with the interview. For looking like a rock star on stage. For smiling that precious smile with those dimples showing.

Sure, if you just look at the number ratio, he came in third in a competition of 3 guys. He came in last. But I'm looking at a different number ratio.....I say he may have came in 3rd, but he beat out all the other guys at that high school, including those other seniors, juniors or sophomores, who didn't bother to enter, so that's not last.  That's far from last.  He stepped up to the plate when it mattered to us, when it mattered to him, when it was important to represent his school......and that's the real story.  

And the fact that he looks so cute in a navy sport coat, well that is just the icing on the Campus King cake. 

2 comments:

Lana said...

I am very proud of you Rivers! and from the looks of it, you will be MUCH taller than those senior boys!

Love you much!
Aunt Lana

Kim Lawson said...

Congrats Rivers!

Love the black and white close up!