Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The well of my tecnological woe just gets deeper and deeper.

So, I'm entered in an upcoming 5K run.  Which is a misnomer, as I probably won't be doing a lot of actual running per se, mostly just walking as fast as I can to finish the race.  However, I have tried to start running a little for the last few weeks to prepare myself (walk a few minutes, then run a few minutes) just to try to build my stamina up a little.  I am no runner.  I have never been a runner.  Just not my thing, I wish it were, but it's not. Still, I'm trying. 
 
Which brings me to this post.  This sad, sad post.  On Saturday, the weather was gorgeous, so I trekked out to the dirt road near our home and set out for a walk/run.  I often take my iphone and use the timer on the clock settings to gauge my walk/run intervals.  As I was descending towards home, after a 30 minute outing, the iphone slipped from my hand and went out with a thrust as I was swinging my arms forward while moving.  It landed upside down or face side up, onto the pebble strewn dirt road.  And when I reached down to retrieve it, I flipped it over and this is what I found:
 
 
No, that's not Spiderman's web, that's the glass of the iphone, shattered into a nice arachnid home design.  I thought about crying, but decided that wouldn't help, so I did what I always do in times of crisis.  I alerted my husband.  And prayed for an apple of a miracle in the meantime. No miracle would come. Apple or otherwise. 
 
So, I marched into the Apple store on Monday morning, and walked right up to the "Genius Bar" as they call it.  The Genius Bar is the counter at which you speak to the geeks and beg their mercy for help with your mac masterpiece. Or at least that's what I do at the Genius Bar.
 
But I wouldn't advise it.....as there was no mercy for the shattered screen scenario I presented.  I was really hoping for a miracle, a cheap miracle at least.  I mean really, they can fix a windshiled in a car pretty easily, and glass doesn't cost a whole lot, especially for that small of a piece that would fit the iphone.  But alas, my "genius" helper started talking to me about the sensor receptors that are enabled between my fingertips and the digitizer, and blah, blah, blah.......and so I knew, a cheap miracle does not include words like digitizer and sensor receptors.  I would have to pay the price to have it replaced.  And apparently, the small 4 inch size piece of glass that is made for the iphone is also made of diamond, or at least that's what I gathered from the price quote.  What's a girl to do?  So, I asked could it be fixed that day?  Sure, it can be fixed while you wait, m'am. Is that what you want us to do?  Yes, I nod.
 
Off goes my "genius", behind a shiny silver sleek doorway at the Apple Store.  He returns 4 minutes later. 
 
Four minutes later. With my new glass installed on my iphone. Do you hear me?  It took him 4 minutes.  And with the cost of that service, I could have bought a new windshiled for my car, and if it was a good deal at Glass Masters, I could have even had enough to buy a new windshield for your car. Seriously?  4 minutes. digitizer or no digitizer they are running one heck of a racket at the apple store....and I fell into their hands by my own stupidity.
 
I'm thinking it will be best if I go purchase myself one of those $10 sports watches at the Target store and use it as my "interval timer" from now on.  Or just give up on running altogether.....it seems to be quite an expensive sport for me.
 

4 comments:

The Cannons said...

Poor girl. I would so love to run/walk but my problem isn't that its expensive, its just the bladder ain't what it used to be, if you know what I mean! If you need a partner, I would love to join ya!. Ive got 30 lbs to lose and I've determined its not gonna just melt off but I need an exercise partner.....a movtivator or that's my other excuse besides the bladder.ha

Amanda McCrory said...

I recommend you check in to getting the OTTER box sold at AT&T or online for your iphone I drop mine all the time on everything, I have Never even touched the screen on my iphone because of this neat little box. Has a nice little cover that protects it.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Ang...sign me up, I would love to have a partner!! And no more running! :) And maybe little reward trips to KK together!! :)

Amanda...yes, sadly for almost 3 months I have discussed the point with several friends and family, stating "I need to get an Otter Box"....obviously, I never acted on those thoughts, until it was too late. But never fear, the otter box is being shipped as we speak! THank goodness. If I can just keep it safe until delivery.... :)

Joy said...

I hate those unexpected expenses that you know could have been avoided. It happens to everyone. I always think of everything I needed or wanted that I could have gotten with that money. I hope to get an iphone in a couple of months. I will definately be getting one of those "otter boxes" that Amanda was talking about. I drop my phone at least once a day!