Because of recent events, I'll be getting to use a press pass for the state sporting playoffs, for the second time this school year. The State sends out these handy dandy press passes for those media folks, even for those who don't know exactly what they are doing (ME), but work pro-bono in order to get the athletes a little press time in the small, weekly edition of the local paper(ME).
Back in the fall, I had the honor of being on the sidelines, taking pictures of our high school football team as they made a run through to the 2nd round of state playoffs. It is no secret, football is my favorite sport. However, I still take pictures for all the other sports as well, but due to the MONO that invaded our home during basketball season, I was unable to attend all the games this year, and thus missed a lot of the action.
So, it's been nice that these last few weeks I've found a surge of energy and time, and found myself back courtside, taking pictures yet again. And what a time to be here. To see these kids give up their hearts and lungs, running up and down the court for just a chance to play one more game. Just one more game.
So, it's been nice that these last few weeks I've found a surge of energy and time, and found myself back courtside, taking pictures yet again. And what a time to be here. To see these kids give up their hearts and lungs, running up and down the court for just a chance to play one more game. Just one more game.
Win the Area Tournament? Check. They were given that chance to play in one more game, at home even, in the Sub-Regional game.
Win the Sub-Regional game? Check. They were given that chance to play in one more game, in the Regional Semi-final.
And so it brings us to where the guys are for now.....mere hours away from playing their hardest, giving it their all, yet again, for the chance to play in just one more game.
They have made it to the Sweet 16 for our classification. Only 16 teams are left. It is the first time for our current coach to make it to the Sweet 16. It is the first time in a long time, over a decade I believe for our school to make it to the Sweet 16. It must be a great feeling. I think it is, and heck, I don't even know that much about basketball. But I sure love the emotion captured in the above photo after that Sub-Regional win. That emotion and exhiliration of .....wow, we just won, I can't believe it, we're going to the next level.....we get to play in one more game!
Sure, there's comes a pinnacle at some point.....we are a mere 3 games away from that view. Do I think we'll get there? I can't say for certain, it's probably doubtful. As tonight, they play the current seeded number 1 team in the state.....tough break for our guys. As one of the senior players told his mom...."to beat them would be like the biggest miracle in the history of high school ball. "
I've read about miracles happening. Have you? As the Olympics have arrived, especially since it's the winter games, you hear a lot of reference to the Miracle on Ice quite often. I'm sure all of you have as well.....you may have watched it unfold on your 3 channel, rabbit eared, television back in that very moment, or maybe you have watched the not one but two movies that have been made about that game in the history of our nation's great Olympic moments.
During the Olympic games in 1980, USA's hockey team defeated the Soviet Union's team. A team that was far more than heavily favored. In fact, the Russians were known as the best team in the world.
Not just the best team in their classification.
Not just the best team in their classification.
Not just the best team in their state.
Not just the best team in their country.
But rather, the best team in the world.
And, as evidenced in 1980, even the best team in the world can be beaten.....it just takes one game.
No, Al Michaels won't be calling the game tonight for our boys. No, even if they were to win, they wouldn't have their photos plastered all over Sports Illustrated. No, you won't find a snippet of the game on an ESPN highlight reel.
But those boys have one more game to play in.....they have made it to the sweet 16.....and for all of that and more, there's plenty of reasons to hold their heads high.
1 comment:
It's been over a decade since the Wildcats made it to the Sweet 16 in 1998. I hate I won't be there to cheer them on but my husband and daughter will be and I plan on getting updates regularly. I'm so proud of our athletes and I know a certain photographer that will capture great pictures that will almost make me feel like I was there.
Post a Comment