Monday, February 01, 2010

DIY project...

Over the last few months we've been doing some projects in the house. Some big (finishing the basement hopefully soon) and small, (like mostly painting), remember last fall when I painted the laundry room?  Anyway, we've also been working in the boy's bedroom and even a little in Baby Girls as well.  I intend to post photos as we finish, so you'll see some soon.  However, I did want to show you this recent project I took on last wek. 

This is a secretary desk that we've had for many years. The top of the piece lays down as a writing desk with two shelves inside for storing things and then the drawers underneath are for....well, for whatever you choose I guess. I love the action of the piece, but was not in love with the blah oak color and look. It has moved around the house from room to room, never really finding a solid home.  But search no more dear nomadic furniture piece, I have found the perfect spot for you.....this week anyway.

Here's the before look.


Nice tarnished brass plated handles.



Because I am not patient enough to wait for my husband to sand it down, strip it of whatever, and then begin painting or staining it the proper way.....instead, I go with the popular choice of graffiti artists everywhere:


And a few tools of the trade to help out as well.....who doesn't use a good Reed & Barton silver knife for their DIY projects? 


And voila'!!!




Sure, I'm going to have to take it back out and spray another coat of black on it, and then sweet talk my husband into sealing it for a nice sheen and topcoat.  But all in all, I think it was a marvelous redo! 

10 comments:

Candace said...

LOVE IT! You did an amazing job!

Kim Lawson said...

Love it!!!

Unknown said...

Hey this is Jocelyn Stocks
Did you spray paint the handles? I want to change the handles on my kitchen cabinets but Brandon says that I will have to get something that the handles will line up with. So if I could just paint them that would be great. Let me know

Lana said...

Nice job, remodeler Tyner Bowling.

Lana

Joy said...

Look at you!!!! Great job....I love it !!!
xoxo Joy

MomMom said...

Wow! I love it! Somehow my DIY projects never turn out like I picture them in my mind before I start. But, this looks professionally done---love it.

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me. Why does it need anything else? Kevin

Jennifer Simpson said...

Good job, Lil Miss HGTV! I love it, love it, love it! I love me some spray paint! xoxo

The Cannons said...

Very nice. LOVE black furniture but don't own a piece of it,hmm.

courtney said...

looks great! all of lawson's nursery furniture is a "re-do" in black - im a fan!