Thursday, February 04, 2010

I thought 54 was A LOT of books to read in a year....but I was wrong.

I keep a little notebook of all the books I read.  The ones for both of my book clubs as well as any others I pick up at the library, buy at the Costco, or receive from a friend's recommendation.  In 2009, I decided to keep track, and realized at the end of the year I was averaging a book a week.  Pretty good, right?  Yea, that was until I talked with a very good friend, and fellow book nerd, who I also knew was keeping track.  She had started her a little notebook back in January as well. 

Come to find out she quit keeping count, stopped writing down in the notebook, or tracking her books......because along about April she had already read over 65.  By the 4th month of the year....over 65 books.  It would seem like that is all she could possibly be doing, reading books, but quite the contrary....she also takes wonderful care of her household which includes a high manitenance husband ;), is very involved with her 4 children and all their school activities and sporting events, church, maintains order for our mutual book club, and also works a full time job.


But that's not the most amazing part....she can hold a discussion about any of those (probably close to 200 books) she read this year.  Me, I get confused with my characters, cross over plot lines, and forget even the juiciest details at times.  But boy do I love talking books with her anyway. I just pretend to be as smart as she is....maybe one day I'll read that much too.  A girl has to have a goal. 

Which brings me to the point of this post.....you had no idea I could have a point to my posts, did you?  Well, I can and I do.  After talking with that bookworm of a friend recently, discussing our future books of the month, great readings we've stumbled on at the library and such.....it reminded me to ask all of y'all.....have you read anything good lately?

I know I ask that question from time to time, (and will probably continue to do so) but you know, since the last time I asked, you may have read something really awesome and I might need to read it myself!! If you have a book that you've loved, couldn't put down, a real page-turner, maybe a classic revisisted, one you read in high school 20 years ago, or one that was life changing, feel good, thought provoking, good discussion topic, or one that made you SMILE out loud, or cry the silent cry, or whatever....would you let me (us) know?  You can leave it in the comments below, or if you'd rather, just email me (bowlingfamilymoments@yahoo.com).  

A new year, a new slate of books just waiting to be opened.......

3 comments:

Lana said...

Your blog would be tops on my to read list.

Jennifer Simpson said...

The Help, you definitely gotta read The Help, if you havent already! A Southern book, we love those. Have we talked about this one already?? xoxo

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Wanted to let you know that I received The Red Tent for a belated b'day present from my sister.Can't wait to read it!