Friday, May 29, 2009

Update on Walt

Good Evening to all. Just wanted to send out a quick message to any reading that our sweet Walt is doing well.

The surgery took about an hour and 15 minutes and recovery added another hour. The Dr. said everything went well and looked good. They placed two flexible rods into the two pieces of the femur bone. They are located inside where the bone marrow is, and that is what is stabilizing his leg. Walt is in an immobolizer brace (the big foam velcro strap things), but in a few days will get that off, and will have NOTHING on his leg. No body cast, no brace, no leg cast, nothing.


Hello medical advancements.

Just a few hours after surgery was completed, the physical therapist came by to already get him up on his leg. He is only allowed slight touch, weight bearing, for now. He will go home in a wheelchair, but practiced walking on his crutches down the hallway...and is doing fantastic.

He is still keeping a great attitude. He is amazing. That's about all I can say.

I appreciate all of your thoughts, concerns and prayers. I appreciate all of your calls, texts, e-mails, comments and visits. They have meant the world to me, especially since my "world" for the last 30 something hours have been in a confined hospital room.

We really didn't sleep much last night, lots going on, and the thoughts of surgery were never far from anyone's mind. I don't think I slept. I'm sure I didn't. But I think I can tonight, despite the hard chair/bed. :)

We of course have some sweet, tenderhearted and humorous Walt stories to tell. Sometime. When I can catch my breath. But for now, I just wanted you to know your prayers were answered....and we are grateful.

5 comments:

Lana said...

So glad our little trooper is doing well!! and now so are you!

~LL

Kim Lawson said...

Wonderful news! And no cast?? WOW!! Hope you were able to rest.

courtney said...

hope you are all able to get some rest after you get home!

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear about the break, but so GLAD to hear that all went well with fixing it!!!

carla said...

I have been thinking about Walt all weekend. I am so glad he is Ok! I have to say, I am totally blown away that he does not need a cast or anything. WOW!

Take care of your little one..and yourself.