Monday, May 18, 2009

Will they be Blue Ribbon Winners or Orphans???

Field Day was last week at the kids school. What fun. Loads and loads, in the heat, with raw eggs, kind of fun. Oh, the stories I could tell.....but I'll keep it short and just let the pictures do most of the talking.

Although I must tell you about their Dad's big pep speech on the morning of Field Day. He has always attended field day, every year, for the last 7 years. And has either stayed the entire day, or at the very least, a few hours in the morning. This year work duties called and sadly he had to miss. Prior to their departure for Field Day, he shared these words of endearing fatherly love and encouragement to his children:


  • "Look, either you bring back some blue ribbons, or don't come home!"

Thank the Lord they all managed to reel in a few 1st place trips to the finish line. I have shown only a sampling of the ribbons for proof......mainly because I can't find the rest. I think I lost several of the others somewhere between the snow cone machine, my camera bag, and the dunking booth. But, don't tell anybody. I'll just slide these in the keepsake box with the others from the past 7 years and no one has to know. When the kids turn 35, they can fight over who won the blue for the 50 yard dash of '09. I'll be way past the crazy ward by then.
Always a favorite....the piggy-back race. Tyner Beth looks like she's enjoying the ride. My biggest regret this Field Day is that I did not get THE shot of the day...... I missed Walt riding his friend Big E's back in this race, for their grade division. They have won the piggy back race every year since they began their school career. And this year was no exception......the teachers informed me they were 50 yards ahead of the rest, and walked across the finsih line, with Walt pumping his fist the entire way. Too cute. If only I had the photo to show.


Look....Elvis is alive....he's shorter than usual, has blonde hair, and appears to be tied to someone elses leg, but those are definitely a pair of his signature sunglasses!!

TB choking up on her "3-legged" friend.....
"My Dad said we had to bring home the blue ribbons....or else."

Thank goodness......they WON! Apparently their strategy of only wearing
one pair of shoes between them worked to their advantage!


What Field Day fun is all about....... Still tied together, holding on tight to your friends, and letting your blue ribbons wave in the breeze.....

'cause it ain't just a race to the finish line.....it may very well be your ticket home.

~~Stay tuned later in the week for a whole post dedicated to one child's version of the egg toss extravaganza. I know, you can hardly wait, right?

2 comments:

Lana said...

......on pins and needles....

Courtney Long said...

how cute! love the powered sugar face!