Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It was Colonel Mustard, with a candlestick, in the LIBRARY.


Recently, I was in the library returning the kids movies and a few books I had read. Because....hello?....Did you know you can get books from the library to read? And they don't cost a dime....unless they become overdue and then they do, in fact, cost a dime....or sometimes 60 cents, in my case.

Anyway, I read a lot. Usually, a minimum of 4 books a month. Two are the assigned selections for the month, which come from my two book clubs. I just love my book club groups. And then I read a few others on top of those. Nerd. I know.

When Temple and I had our first child, and we lived on much less income than now, the baby and I practically lived at the local library in our town at the time. We went for children's story hour twice a week, and then walked to the library at least one other day during the week and usually again on the weekend. And even with all 3 kids in tow....I still made many, many trips to the library. I hated to leave that town, our first home, and the sweet library that was merely 6 blocks away.


Of course now, the kids use their school library, primarily. It seemed like several months had passed, possibly close to a year, and I hadn't been to the library. I was still reading.....tons. So where are all these pages of literature coming from?.......


Let me just say.....the husband may be requesting a Barnes & Noble bailout package before long. Because clearly..... I enjoy a good book store almost as much as I love Mt. Dew, with crused ice, in a plastic stadium cup--which is to say, a lot!! However, the B & N can be a bit pricey, at times.

I intervened on my own behalf, and my husband's wallet, and went back to the library. It's small. They don't always have my book club selections because....it's a small library. And almost always, they only carry one copy of each title because.....it's a small library. And you know what that means, if it's a best seller or popular author, you are out of luck for two more weeks, because.....it's a small library.

But,you know what? During this economic crisis, I have fallen in love all over again with the library's....it's free to read method.

Don't worry.....Barnes & Noble and I didn't break up completely. We still see each other on occasion. I walk in, take in a big deep breath of the smell from the coffee corner and then stroll around the aisles to let my eyes feast upon the multitude of goodness they have shelved.

And besides, they offer a great sale table that has become a true friend to me.


So, if you're a bookworm (or even if you're not, but know a good read).....let me know what you're reading....or suggest a great author for me to search for in the Dewey Decimal System!!

5 comments:

Christy K. Jean said...

Have you read the Twilight series? I swore, swore, swore that I was NOT reading those books because...who wants to read about vampires and werewolves??? I AM ADDICTED!!! I am on the last book and I only allow myself 8-10 pages a day because, in the back of my mind, I KNOW that when this book ends, the saga ends. :o( If you haven't read them, please do! They are great!! I also enjoy Lisa Jackson, James Patterson, Sandra Brown (when I need "just alittle" smut in my life), and Jeffery Deaver. If you know of any good books, I'm going to be needing one very soon (within a few days), so please let me know!!! Love ya!!!

Adam, Bentley and Ella Carr said...

You sound just like me! Ella and I are in the library at least once a week pouring over books and the free movies to check out. But I will have to say that we have an amazing library. Hope you find a good read.

Joy said...

We are going to have to name our book clubs so you will know which one you are talking about....but you may have a name for the other one...if so let us know. After finishing my book for next month I have started Jodi Picoult's "Handle With Care". I am about a 1/4 of the way in and can't put it down.

Anonymous said...

Kim-
If you haven't already read this book, you should. "The Last Lecture", by Randy Pousch. One of the best books I've ever read. Carla

hicksfamilycircus said...

I'm interested in that "Angry Housewives" book in the stack. Is that a self help book, muder mystery or what?? Maybe I need to check it out! Love ya!! ;)