Thursday, May 28, 2009

I cannot take credit for the math award or the peeling paint on the kitchen ceiling.

For the last few months, I am certain, you've had a nagging question. Just itching your brain every week, if not daily. You've been wondering what a "Most Outstanding Student" would look like.....well, wonder no more. I aim to answer this pressing question and any others you may throw my way (to the best of my very limited abilities).

  • Now, you have a picture to show your brain: Most Outstanding Student=


She also received awards for the following:
  • All A Honor Roll
  • Highest Academic Average in Language Arts
  • Highest Academic Average in Math -- which she obviously acquired from her father's genes.

I was so proud. She has some fierce competition in her grade. One of whom is her best little guy friend. I just assumed he would be making a dent in her awards recognition today.

I was wrong to assume.

She swept up a whole load of her own.....including Most Outstanding Student. Did I mention that? :)

And what about procrasination child....have you been wondering if he could pull his act together and bring in an award as well?

Of course he did.

  • Duke University Participant In the Pursuit of Excellence
  • Highest Academic Average in Reading
  • All A-B Honor Roll

Why "A-B"? So glad you asked. For someone who scores in the 99th percentile in the nation on the SAT's, you would assume they could make all A's for the year.

You would be wrong to assume.

That would require you to do all your classwork and homework. You know, the dreaded spelling words, written 3 x's each, and the spelling sentences, and the science journals and what have you. He sees no point in those trivial matters when he makes a 102 (including the bonus word) on the weekly spelling tests.

Oh, glory....my boys are so different from my little girl....in lots of ways.

She longs to do ALL of her work, effeciently, with extra care and special touches. To go above and beyond what is asked of her. They, on the other hand, do not. If neglected, they scratch by with the bare minimum. And thus wind up on the A-B Honor roll.

Example: For "fun" last week in the car, on the travel ride to gymnastics, she wrote all her multiplication tables up to 32. It was over 300 problems she had written. For "fun".

Because it was "fun" to her. Because she couldn't wait to show her teacher, and her Daddy, and anyone else who would take a gander. It was not assigned. She received no grade for those 4 pages, front and back, handwritten, of math. She did it because, one more time, repeat it with me.....she said it was just "fun".

My boys have other extreme ideas to do for "fun". Of which, none include writing out math problems just for kicks.

Example: One evening earlier this week they decided to run a tub of bath water. In an upstairs bathroom. And then got in and made "tsunamis". For fun.

Which resulted in water dripping (to the main level below) onto my kitchen floor and countertops. From the recessed lighting. In the ceiling. Which is directly below the floor of the upstairs bath. Where the "tsunamis" had occurred. For fun.

See what I mean. Even after awards day is said and done....I'm often still fighting a losing battle. But I shall win the war. And I'm going to stock up on pencils, paper, calculators and towels for the summer break. To prepare myself for all the "fun".

2 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

OMG! That's all I can muster about the tsunami.

The Cannons said...

FUN~our word for the upcoming summer, too! Congrats kiddos on the awards!!