Friday, January 01, 2010

The loss of a friend.....

Most often, physical pain is a lot easier to deal with than emotional hurts.  In fact, often times, as the case may be, if you have experienced a serious physical hurt a doctor will give you medicine for that....to ease the pain. 

Emotional pain cannot be fixed with a pill, no matter the size or stength.  Emotional hurts are deep.  Deep into the innermost corners of your heart....often in places you never let anyone else see, even. 

Such is the case now, the emotional hurt is here.  We have experienced the loss of a friend.  A tragic loss, an unexpected loss.  A friend named Michelle. I grew up in school and the youth group at church with her. And although she and her family moved a state away, because of this crazy thing called the internet, I could keep up with her family and their adventures, plus I saw her mom a lot during the school year and could get an update on what her granddaughter was doing at any time!  I realized after last night's post, many of you were concerned and have commented or emailed, texted or called.  And while the majority of my blog friends knew of this same sweet family and have also been affected by this tragedy, there were several of you who would have had no idea.....so it seemed I kind of left you hanging, unintentionally. 

However, I appreciate your concern and would covet your prayers for this family. 

Prayer for Michelle's husband, who lost his soulmate.
Prayer for Michelle's parents, who lost their daughter. 
And right now on my heart, specials prayers for Michelle's young daughter.....who lost her mother.

The Lord tells us in Isaiah that His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways.....but His ways are always right, no matter what.  And that just flat out hurts some times.  However, I know, because he also tells us in his word, HE is the same yesterday, today and forever.  Yes, life changes, life hurts, but HE is still in control, and the best we can do is take our hurts or needs or pleas just like our praises, to Him.

So that's what I am doing....I'm  taking my hurting heart to Him.  I've found some scriptures to cling to....and thought I'd share, in case you wanted or needed to cling to them too....

~~ "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee..." ~Psalm 55:22 

~~"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry."  ~Psalm 40:1

~~"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus"  ~Philipians 4:7

That last one, from Philipians, I cling to often.  I don't understand things....much of the time....but I do depend on Him to envelope my heart with His peace, as only he can.

I told my husband, and then included these thoughts in an email to a friend last night as well (and I dont' think she'd mind me sharing--she was very close to Michelle, their families are the greatest of friends and she was in desperate shock last night like so many of us)

.....I said to them both,  Michelle never saw 2010.  She passed just hours before 2009 came to an end.  Michelle left this earth and arrived in a far grander place than any of us can imagine now, in the arms of her Lord and Savior. We can see her again....there is hope in that fact. 

Michelle was so funny....she could say the dryest response in a conversation and get the biggest giggles all around the table. My biggest regret since she lived so far away is that I was never able to experience one of those Krispy Kreme donut bread puddings with her......so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they serve some at the feast in Heaven! 

In fact, you never know, they may have had some last night!  I dare say they probably had one heck of a New Year's Eve party with her making everyone up there belly laugh!! That's what I was thinking on during our little family New Year's Eve gathering.....while we are sad for our deep loss, they are most estatic for their great gain in heaven!!! As my husband told me..."it's like Frank said (a co-worker who had experienced the loss of his wife earlier), it was the best of times, it was the worst of times." 

Knowing where you loved ones will spend eternity (in Heaven) is wonderful....not having them here (on earth) to hug one more time is terrible.

My heart is hurting, but I seek peace from the Lord.  The world keeps clicking right along.  I cheered for my Auburn Tigers today (for a very long time, might I add, that was the craziest game, EVER).....2010 has begun....my Christmas decorations are still up....we still have company staying with us.....we still have another family Christmas to attend before the new week starts....laundry is piling up yet again....fireworks were shot at the midnight hour..

..the world is continuing whether we want to just sit idle in our sadness or not. 


All that to say, I will begin posting upbeat again next week. I still have a few items from the season to share, and family moments to document here on the ol' blog....I had planned to do a qucik review of 2009, a highlight recap of sorts.....a resolution post....etc. And if all goes well, the new H3 scripture for the month of January should post on the 3rd as is our tradition.  Today I just wanted to pause and reflect on the wonderful life of my friend, Michelle, and ask you to please remember to bathe this difficult time in prayer for all of her family and friends.  It will be an extremely tough road ahead.....but the good news is they, nor you, have to travel it alone. 


Every day the Lord gives me I will rejoice in it....and I pray I remember to praise Him for each moment....tell those you love that you love them....we never know when our last moment will come....and go.

Be blessed my friends.  I love y'all.

6 comments:

Niki Arendale said...

Kim- I am speechless as I sit here and read your post. Tears have filled my eyes. I am so sorry for the loss of Michelle. She will greatly be missed.

The Deavours Family said...

Kim, that post was very much needed. I only got the chance of knowing Michelle for a few years, but in that short time I learned what a wonderful person she was. I pray that the Lord gives Jamey, Brenna, Mr Billy, Mrs Sandra, Andy and the rest of her family the strength to get through this tough time. But like you said I am sure that Heaven had a wonderful party last night with her! Thank you once again for giving such wonderful scriptures to cling to! You are awesome! Love you!

Lana said...

I love you.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to see this here. Occasionally I have read your friend's blog in the past and always had a smile by the end of each post.

At times like this I can't help but wonder what the point of this particular choice was, in God's plan. I know it's there, I know it's not for me to know.

I am thinking of them, Brenna especially. Life without your Mother is so very strange.

hicksfamilycircus said...

Such a sweet and heartfelt post. You always touch me with your thoughts. There are no words to make sense of this all but I am thinking of you ALL!! Take care my friend. Maybe it's my turn now to comfort you as you did so selflessly with me not too long ago!

Kim Lawson said...

Beautiful and touching words, Kim.

Thank you for this and everything else.