We are approaching a big day for Middle Child. Yes, last summer I referred to him as Broken Leg Boy, because, well, he had a broken leg. If you remember, he broke it on the playground, on the last day of school, during the last hour.....just in time to kick off summer break with a real bang. 3 ambulance rides and 2 hospitals later, he was taken in for surgery by a wonderful orthopedic surgeon at Children's Hospital. We had a grand summer, even with the wheelchair and crutches. Kind of like the snow (or lack thereof) a couple of days ago, we made the most with what we were given.
Middle Child's broken leg drew us closer as a mother and child, sibling to sibling, and as a whole family. Close friends and family rally around whenever there is a circumstance, whether it be one of joy or pain, and this time was no different. They are always there to share in the excitement or to help ease the sorrow. During this time period we relished in our moments even more with family and friends, partially because, due to his injury, we were made to move at a slower pace. We had no choice but to stop and smell the roses....and let me tell you, they were sweet. In fact, they still are.
The summer passed. School began again in the fall. November came. And the date on the calendar that Middle Child had been anxiously awaiting arrived with it. After many hours spent strengthening his leg again, several check ups to the ortho clinic, and months of recovering, Middle Child was released from the activity restriction his doctor had placed on him post surgery. So, for all the almost 6, that's right SIX months of no activity, (no PE at school and careful moments trying to "play" even at home) he was rewarded with the GO AHEAD to begin running, jumping and being a rambunctious boy again. Which were greeted with BIG smiles all around, as you can imagine.
He knew he would only have a few weeks to play again, before the next and final surgery would be scheduled. Our goal was to let him have a fun Christmas, a special couple of months of this season to rip and roar like any young man his age. We met our goal. And now, surgery has been scheduled. Shortly after the New Year arrived, I knew I had to make the call to his ortho nurse to have her assign us a date in the surgical room....one last time.
However, what I'm struggling with right now, is the fact that I had to schedule that surgery. You see, I'd be a bit anxious regardless, because it's my boy, and he's having surgery, and he's so sweet and precious, and he's my boy. Do you have kids? Then you know exactly where a mother's heart lies....and she wants to protect her cubs just like any other Mama bear in the woods.
Now, if you've read the blog this month, then you know that I lost a friend on New Year's Eve, just a few days ago. A friend who had injured herself on Christmas night and had outpatient surgery to repair her injury on New Year's Eve. It was what I, and many, would have considered routine surgery. Routine outpatient surgery that she endured in the morning, hours later was dismissed and came home to recover, and then early evening, at home, she passed away (probably due to a blood clot, heart attack).
Now look, I know we don't question God. As bad as I'd like to, as bad as I have often wanted to give Him a piece of my mind about His timing, and His will, and His choices of who gets to leave here Heavenbound and who gets stuck here on earth to grieve. But as I posted on the blog concerning my friend's death, His ways are right....no matter what our thoughts are on the matter. And kind of like here on earth with the mama of the family, He gets the last say, period.
And I am constantly learning to trust in what His last say is, on everything in this life. But it doesn't mean your heart doesn't break with whatever the "last say" may be that has been laid down from the Big Man in charge. I trust in the Lord to take care of my boy, all my children, our entire family. Although, I'd be lying to you right here and now, if I didn't say how much more anxious I am for the upcoming routine outpatient surgery Middle Child is scheduled to have this week.
I'll be clinging to our H3 verse this month. I'll be talking overtime with the Big Man in charge this week. To say I would appreciate your prayers on behalf of this surgery, would be a huge understatement.
9 comments:
I know how much you are struggling with this and it is completely understandable. You know without a doubt you have our prayers. Please keep us updated with texts, emails, blog, whatever. Love and hugs to each and everyone of you!
Know that "middle boy" and your entire family are in our prayers. Like Kim said, it is totally understandable for you be have these concerns and fears.
You are a "super-star" but you are human!:) Only things that any Mother would struggle with. Love and prayers sent your way!!:)
Praying for you! Tomorrow will be 1 year since Whit had her wreck...dredges up alot of feelings, I know what your going through! Know that I love you!!
Many prayers here for you and Middle Child and your whole family!!!
Praying for you and middle child...love ya'll so much...
Kimberly, no matter how much faith any of us have, our human emotions slip in at times like this---especially when our children are involved. I will pray for your son as well as all of you.
Lots of prayers and hugs coming your way!! I can only imagine your concerns but if anyone has the faith to get through this like a champ, you do!
love you and i'll be thinking and saying a prayer for ya'll.
Post a Comment