Middle Child and I arrived home from Children's Hospital around 12:45 this afternoon. I told you we went in EARLY this morning, they whipped him into surgery (first on the board for the day!!), had an hour long stay in recovery, and he did so outstandingly well...we were out of there before lunch. YAHOO!!
We had been home less than an hour when my mom called to say she had just checked out Elder Son from the high school. As it turns out, yesterday, he was playing basketball during P.E. and went up for a rebound with another friend, both came down with his foot hitting the floor hard and the friend landed on his foot "awkwardly", as Elder Son describes it. He complained some with it last night, but thought all would be okay. He doesn't like to miss school, so when he called my mom to come check him out, she knew it must be hurting pretty bad.
It was swollen and already showed some bruising, so I figured better to be safe than sorry.....so, back in the car I settled and drove him to a Med Clinic for an X-ray. Fortunately, it is not fractured, only a severe sprain, and he has to wear this air cast brace on it for a while. I'm glad it's not broken, but don't let a sprained ankle fool you....they hurt terribly bad, and are not quick to get well.
I sat in the patient room this afternoon at 4:00 almost in a daze. Between both the boys, and their respective injuries, I had signed or received so many medical papers, release forms, consent forms, patient info, prescriptions, school excuses, activity restriction papers, etc.etc.etc. and been told so many instructions to go along with it all, I had to ask the nurse to repeat the stuff all over again for Elder Son because my brain had not stored it the first time the doctor went over it. :) Ugh.
She was sweet and understood, so she gave it to me again. We were released after she put the brace on Elder son, so we left to head home and I knew I had to get the pain prescription filled for Middle Child (you know, the one who had surgery earlier today???!!!!!) It was then that I realized I had not had anything to eat since the banana at 5:45 AM at the hospital. It was now 4:15 PM. That could be a problem. I wanted to stop right then and there and cry for my Mama.
Then I remembered that wouldn't help, because she was back at my house sitting with Middle Child, who was resting from surgery. I dropped off the prescriptions and decided Elder Son and I would get a bite to eat. Because of the day I was having, my first plan was to find the nearest Mexican restaurant, wheel into a parking space, crawl into a booth, order some chips and queso and a
So we went to Chick-Fil-A instead. And I had a large coke. Very refreshing. And the chicken nuggets helped fuel my body to push right on through to make it back to the pharmacy, gather the goods my hurt boys needed, and drive us home to all pile up for rest. So, let's recap....
- Middle Child had surgery this morning....it was a success.
- Elder Son took a visit to the clinic this afternoon....no broken bone, only sprained ankle.
- Their Mama is one day closer to the crazy ward, yet again.
Elder Son is resting on the couch......
With his ankle elevated.....
And that sweet little Middle Child is still sleeping off his anesthesia....
With his right femur rod removal surgical leg elevated.......
I am eagerly anticipating T-5 and Baby Girl to arrive home soon. And that sleep, the sleep that has been beckoning me since I rose from the bed at 4 this morning, will again be restored to all of us here in the House of Bowling.
Of course, right now the family is caught up in the American Idol reality and I can't see the computer screen through misty eyes for some sweet little country girl from Tennessee. Bless her heart. I'm pulling for her already! :)
I will share more with you tomorrow concerning my patients. Also, I realize these are minor problems considering all that those in Haiti are dealing with at the present time. It sems so far removed from us because we are here....no earthquakes....no rubble....no mass death and destruction. However, it became very real today when we were told one of the recovery nurses at Children's Hospital (where we were this morning), has a brother who was doing something with the military there in Haiti and they have yet to hear from him. Pray. Prayer works. Just ask my boys.
7 comments:
God Bless You Wonder Woman. Glad surgery went well and no broke bones. Tommorrow will be a NEW day!!!
Lord have mercy, Mama! I would've definitely gone for the margarita! Bless your little mono-y heart...and Elder Son's...and Middle Child's too! Still sending love and prayers your way! xoxo
Heavens to Betsy, Kimbo!!!! I think I will have that margarita for you....it's five o'clock somewhere? Right. Glad all is well.
And you all returned home safely to settle down for a long winters nap> Love to ya!!
Girl!Glad eveything is ok for both! Call Me if you need anything!:)
I believe I'll have to bring that very large sombrero (filled to capacity, of course) the next time I bring donuts!! Bless you!! If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away! Love you!
Just remember: Spare the rod and spoil the child! Okay, I'm on a corny roll today!!
"Margarita Momma"
Post a Comment