Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I need YOUR help....please.

House of Bowling will be gearing up this year to take, yet another, road trip.  What can I say? We love them.  However, I need your help, if you don't mind, in deciding on places to see, things to do, attractions to visit, and of course....where to eat on the road!!! :)

So if you have ever lived in, been to, traveled to a destination, passed by an attraction, or ate the best ____ (fill in the blank....it could be from a fine dining experience, the tastiest pizza joint this side of Italy, a hole in the wall sandwich shop, a novelty diner, or the best BBQ shack you've ever stopped at).......please let us know. 

These are the states up for options on this year's road travels:
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Kansas
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • Iowa
  • Illinois
  • South Dakota
  • Minnesota
Obviously it's doubtful we will make it through them all.....or have a stop in all of them, but I still need your help, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. So.....Have any thoughts?  Have you seen, toured or ate something FANTASTIC from one of these?  Did you live in one when you were young? Attend college in one? Currently reside there, now?  Does your second cousin, twice removed, on your mom's side, run a gas station right outside that exit that leads to the ____?  Exactly. It's you I need to hear from. :)

Seriously, help if you can. Any ideas would be terrific.  I have bought a few books, and checked out almost a dozen from the library trying to do some research for our trip.  However, NOTHING beats hearing it straight from the horses mouth. :)  No matter if it's just a tidbit that would be mere minutes of our day at an encounter, or a surefire destination we need to hit that will take us days to enjoy.  Remember, we love finding out the eccentric places to visit all across each state, not just the usual stops that everyone makes. 

Off the beaten path is right up our alley.   Comment away.....or if you'd rather, email us..... bowlingfamilymoments@yahoo.com

Thanks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Como Steakhouse in Como, MS. It's about 30 miles south of us on I-55. Absolutely the best steak this side of the Mississippi. The sausage & cheese plate is great too.

Courtney Long said...

I would recommend Nebraska. It's actually really beautiful with all the rolling cornfields. It really does feel like the Heartland. It would probably get pretty boring for the kids pretty quick, but still worth seeing.

www.uncleedssteakhouse.com
2624 South Locust Street
Grand Island, NE 68801-8228
(308) 381-4600

Sutter Deli
371 North Broadwell Avenue
Grand Island, NE 68803-4753
(308) 370-8942

Unknown said...

My aunt lives in Kansas City, Missouri and I can't wait for Zoe to grow because of all the state has to offer. I have heard St. Louis is so kid friendly! My sister and mom took a roadtrip there about 2 years ago. I will get the scoop on places to go to see if it is somewhere you and your family would like to visit.

momofbugs said...

I will extend on Rebecca's comment. There is some awesome stuff in Missouri to do. A lot of things in St. Louis are free. We went to the zoo and the science museum. There is an awesome dairy farm that is a must see/experience. I forgot the name just now but I will comment with it when I remember. BBQ in Kansas City is to die for...I'll get the name for that as well. We are hoping to make it back to Missouri in the fall along with a few other places on our own roadtrip so I look forward to hearing where you go.

momofbugs said...

Shatto dairy...they have several different flavors of milk. I don't like milk but their milk is different and tastes so good. http://www.shattomilk.com/

and the BBQ place is called Gates.

The Deavours Family said...

well too bad you aren't going on your trip in July or you could stop in Phliadelphia for the Neshoba County Fair. That is about the best thing I know that MS has to offer!

Anonymous said...

If you decide to go through Illinois, try camping or cycling (or even just visiting) a site along the I&M Canal.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/i&m/main.htm%5ClTrail

Got any fishermen/fisherwomen? Go to Morris. Or Lockport.

Additionally, try Midwest Living Magazine. They do calendars for off-the-cuff stuff and have excellent recommendations for unique lodging.

http://www.midwestliving.com/