My baby. I should have put her in a box when I had the chance.
This morning before school, the boys and I celebrated her birthday, as we do everyones, with presents, candles, song and dance. Basically, I'm the only one dancing, and we all sing monotone because it's early. We aren't real big "morning people" at our house.
Of course I set them up for a very productive day of higher learning with this breakfast of choice: toaster strudel with icing, strawberry cake, some trix pebbles thrown in for color, and a glass of leftover punch (made by their Granny, who makes the best punch around, which consists of two ingredients--sugar and more sugar, or, Mt. Dew and pineapple juice).
Hey, if you can't go to school on your birthday with a sugar rush, then really, what's the point?
The state laws have it set up now that you can't just show up with a 24 pack of frosted, sprinkled, chocolate laced cupcakes, a big iced chocolate chip cookie, and bags of candy to give your classmates..... Something about obesity rising in America's youth, and that we should make an attempt to offer a more nutritious sampling at school...blah, blah, blah!!
A few years ago, I thought about protesting. I was going to call our group the "Cupcake Brigade". But then I decided that there were more important issues that needed to be addressed first. Like maybe adding into the curriculum week long beach field trips twice a year, opting for one of those mist sprayer thingys on the playground for when it gets so hot (if we aren't at the beach already for a field trip), and maybe even pushing the school year to not start until after Labor Day for a change....you know so we could go to the beach, again...etc.etc.etc.
But instead, I just ate the cupcakes at home. And decided to comply with their stupid regulations by sending other snacks to school for birthday celebrations. My kids always ask for the same thing, a box of Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix, made into cupcakes, with no icing. And usually a fruit dip, because we are complete HEALTH nuts as witnessed by punch for breakfast (it did have pineapple juice).
TB skipped up the sidewalk this morning carrying her basket of treats. She looked just like Little Red Riding Hood.....without the red cape, and she wasn't going to see grandmother, and there was no big bad wolf (unless you count her brothers). But she did enter wth a basket of goodies, state approved goodies.
Red's basket full of sweets would have never met the nutrition guidelines of today and sadly, she would have never made it past the threshold of the elementary doors. I'm not completely sure on the amount of sugar in Trix cereal, but it made the treat bags look much better, so I threw in about 21 pellets...and assumed that it could be counted as a fruit. They do come in lemon, strawberry, lime and orange flavors.

11 comments:
How cute I love your post! Happy 8th Birthday TB!!! Wish I were in her class so I good get goodies at school!
Happy Birthday TB!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Tyner Beth!!!
Happy Birthday!!
Happy Birthday! Sounds a little better than Mississippi State Law; all goodies have to be prepackaged. Imagine participating in the school cake walk for a chance at winning a grocery store cake...
Happy Birthday Miss Tyner Beth!
Happy Birthday Tyner Beth!!!
Happy Birhtday Tyner Beth!!! I hope you got my card on time and that you had a GrrrrEIGHT Birthday!! xoxox Aunt Joy
By Jocelyn Stocks
Let me tell you those cupcakes and trix were great.. I enjoyed mine Friday morning. I love Mrs. Tyner Beth and miss having her in my class, even though I do get about 5 to 10 hugs a day from her.
I think you should be commended for getting such a nutritious fruit snack to all of those school students. They are so lucky to have you looking out for their nutritional interests!
I highly recommend the vitamin packed punch for breakfast. Everyone should start out their day with pineapple juice. That is VERY healthy!
Look at Hawaii. All of the people over there look healthy and I'm sure that they eat lots of pineapple. I've seen it on TV. So it must be true! I'll bet they don't have the food police crushing little children's dreams of a nice Krispy Kreme doughnut for a party favor.
I'm gonna recommend you for Mother of the Year! I think you ROCK!
Happy Birthday, TB! I love you more than you will EVER Know!
~Aunt Lana
So precious! Happy Birthday TB!
Post a Comment