Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I've been drowning my sorrows with a bottle of Mt. Dew and Reese's Cups.


I guess I really have to accept the fact that summer's over and school has begun. Because I bought all the supplies, 117 binders, 423 pencils, 15 packs of loose leaf paper, 78 folders, too many crayons and markers to count, etc.etc.etc.etc. And I spent a lot of money on some new shoes...sadly, not for myself. And we arose very early this morning so that they could dress in some fine attire.

And they carried their teachers an apple, just like Laura Ingalls did at the beginning of every school year on Little House on The Prairie. Except ours were covered in caramel and dipped in chocolate and then decorated with whatever sprinkles and toppings the kids so desired to offer and finally bagged in their color of choice with complimentary ribbon. But other than that, just like Laura Ingalls. :)

I'm thinking her mom had a better idea when she suggested she just pick a red delicious right off the tree in the apple orchard.

Anyway, it's been our tradition for...well almost forever, I suppose. I mean isn't that what you are supposed to do on the first day of school---take an apple to your teacher? I don't like breaking traditions. I don't really care how old you are, or how cool you think you may possibly be at this very moment, or any other lame excuses you can obtain. Apples are given to teachers, regardless. I may have to let Tyner Beth (the socialite) deliver them all. I may have to deliver some. And we may have to rope in a guidance counselor every now and then to do the job for us (thanks Danyell)....but the apples, they will be delivered.

Now. Look closely at that lovely first morning photo again. Can you find the high school-er in the crowd? Here's a clue: He is NOT the one with two pink bow pigtails. Here's another clue:

He's the one with an ink pen poking out of his pocket.

Because that my friends is how you roll when you cross over to the porch where the big dogs are. Seriously? Who knew the pen in the pocket was such a fashion statement for the youth of today? I'm totally buying into it. It may only be a fad, but it's a cheap fad. Stock up on blue and black....10 pens for a $1.00. Just think of all the outfits that can be accessorized for under a dollar.

If only that had been an option during my decade of glory days. I could have saved my mom a ton of money but instead I wasted it all on Coca-Cola shirts and a pair of blue jeans with a little triangle on the fanny. And about a million cans of Rave hair spray. Because the hair was big back in the day. In fact I could have used it to store a few dozen pens if necessary. Or probably even an apple.

So, clearly you can see that I'm avoiding talking about important things like this child that went for his first day....of high school....today. There's plenty in my heart I could tell you, but for now, this will have to do:

Just know that he did great.
I survived.
That's all we could have hoped for.

10 comments:

Courtney Long said...

love it...i'd forgotten about rave hairspray.. BUT i do distinctly remember the awe of being able to use a PEN in high school! hope the day went well for everyone.

Joy said...

Wow...don't guess it would be a good idea to say....they are really growing up! That's what happens and it means you are doing it right! Love you

Kim Lawson said...

Yikes! High school?? Oh, my where did the time go?? I'm not making this any better, huh? Keep drinking the Dew.

Glad he had a great first day!

The Cannons said...

Sounds like a great cure.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Court...I don't think they even sell RAVE hairspray anymore..of course no one should really need it, EVER again. :)

Mrs. Joy...yep, they are growing up, but I don't know if it means I am doing it right...

I'm going to have to swap over to Diet Mt. Dew or else borrow some of Dad's diabetes medicine. :)

hicksfamilycircus said...

I love reading your posts. Always upbeat and full of those awesome memories from our adolecense. I'll be the one on a sugar high Come Monday when the twins start preschool!! And we won't think about next year when the start the big Kgarten!!

Anonymous said...

Kim
I enjoy reading your blogs. They bring me much laughter!!! Your children are all growing up, and they are gorgeous!!! Please continue the funny postings because i love it! I also love the recipes!! I have actually used them - why didn't you tell us you could cook like that years ago?
Anyway, this is Ashley "BUG" just so you will know!

Danyell said...

You are very welcome my friend! It was delicious! Don’t worry too much, I promise to take very good care of him; and if you want to call 3 times a day to check on him, it will be our little secret. Love you!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Ashley, "BUG", so nice to see you on here! Had no idea you were a reader of my jibberish, but thanks for the comment! Most days I write, and even though it's primarily to preserve my own memories, I get finished and think...now, really, who wants to read all of that??? But I don't care, I love to remember these fun stories and feelings!

And do tell what recipes you've tried???

Big Mama said...

Love the pen in the pocket. It's a complete fashion statement!