Sure, it has flown by, for which I am equally sad and grateful. Like a double edged sword, so to speak. Sad that time seems to pass like sand through our hands, very quickly. However, I am grateful for Broken Leg Boy that this span of time where he has been "broken" has seemed to sneak right on by, without hanging around too long in his young life. You know, the "bad" part is over for the most part.
He has been such a terrific child through each and every moment. Never complaining from point of injury, to surgery, to recovery, to crutches, to any deterring factor it placed on "summer break" for he or his siblings. A very stoic individual, indeed.
I don't really like a lot of change. And I had grand visions of all our activites/vacations/road trips/family outings/etc.etc.etc. that would take place in these few short weeks the education system gave us for free time. Obviously, when your child breaks their femur the afternoon school is dismissed, plans and visions change. We survived, and just like the old cliche, we are stronger because of the adversity it brought.
We are thankful for the moments of bonding it caused to occur. Little moments that may have been shuffled around and rarely seen had it not been for the "closeness" this accident brought.
I was briefly able to go back to carrying around a child. It's a feeling you long for, actually my heart aches for it at times, once your child is old enough to not require it. You miss it more than words can say, but I'm sure it would look funny if I hoisted my 5th grader up on my hip while traveling the aisles at Target. People might talk. In fact, I'm certain they would talk.
But for a few short weeks this summer, I was able to "tote" my child again, to cradle him in my arms, with his trusting arms around my neck. And I couldn't have been more thankful for those tough moments because they brought along some great memories.
So, what's the big report you say? Get on with it, and stop all this dribble, just tell us the praise.
Okay, okay already. I'd like to present to you Broken Leg Boy minus his trusty aluminum sidekicks:


That's right, folks, NO MORE CRUTCHES. Raise your hands and shout HALLELUJAH along with us!
We visited the surgeon at the end of last week for another check up. And we were glad to have it occur before school began so we would know all his restrictions. The bone is healing nicely, very nicely, in fact. So much so, that it looks like it's straight to me, all mended. Except for maybe where there's still a crack in it....
Anyway, Dr. Doyle said he was pleased and asked Broken leg Boy to set aside the crutches and walk without them. Which we knew he could do, because he had shown us at home a few times before. Then he asked him to squat and then jump. Walt had not done either of these to my knowledge, prior to the visit. But he did them for the doctor. As we were pulling out of Children's parking deck, I commented about how well he did, and that I had no idea he could do that. He replied, "me neither, mom".
Then I asked, "well, how did it feel to jump and land on your leg with the rods in it? Did it hurt? Were you scared?". And my clever Broken Leg Boy responded with, "you see, I was scared, and didn't think I'd be able to even jump when he asked me to from the squat, so when I did, I just sort of landed on my good leg, and acted like my other foot was touching the ground too." :)
So, he passed this round with the surgeon and is to report back in a couple months. For now, he is still very limited in his activities. Obviously. He is walking great without his crutches and only has to use them if his leg gets really tired from walking a long distance or at the end of the day. And I think he has not used them at all the last 3 days, so we are making big progress. There is still a limp, and he kicks his leg out to the side for some reason, which has given him the nickname "Peg Leg Pete". Both actions were deemed "normal" by the surgeon, saying that most all patients do this and it rectifies itself after a few weeks.
The surgeon also has restricted him from PE until mid-October. Possibly into November, but we'll just have to wait and see. No activity at all, except swimming. That is what he "prescribed" for Broken Leg Boy to do for therapy to strengthen his leg muscle. It will probably be a long couple of months on the playground, watching his classmates run, jump, swing, and slide....but he'll get through it with his head held high, just like he has thus far.
I'd like to think in the end that this experience brought out some good qualities in us all. Some endearing moments that were purposeful for all sorts of reasons we would have never known before. Stopping to really experience the small, but GRAND, moments of life.....laughter, compassion, tenderness, and many hearts full of love.
It has been a hard summer. But it has been a joyous one. Thank you Lord for carrying us through yet another season of life....and bringing us out safely to the other side.
7 comments:
What a blessing. I know it's been a long summer or recovery. God is god though!! Hope your broken leg days are OVER!!
Ok that was SUPPOSE to say God is GOOD!!!
AWWW,you made we want to carry an hold mine too! YAY Walt!!
and the people say...AMEN!!
What a trooper!
Yea! Looking forward to seeing him swim laps in the pool.
Amen!
Post a Comment