Friday, November 14, 2008

A short lesson in Alabama History.....

Walt's PTO Program was this week.....and it was outstanding. He is learning about Alabama History this year....and loves it. So, their program was based on a typical day in their history class at school. The kids opened their play by leading the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag and followed it with the pledge to the Alabama Flag......and I am so proud to say this is a reality of how they open their school day EVERY morning. The stage was filled with famous "Alabamians"----many of which I am certain you are familiar with.....actors, musicians, sports figures, political figures....etc.etc.

People like........Harper Lee (author), Helen Keller, Charles Barkley (Auburn athlete), Bear Bryant, Rosa Parks (civil rights activist), Courtney Cox (actress famous for her role on Friends), Heather Whitestone (first deaf Miss America), George Wallace (AL governor), Jimmy Buffett (musician), Condoleezza Rice, Bo Jackson (Auburn athlete) and many others......

The children all sang the Alabama State song....which was played excellently on the piano by a fellow classmate and friend of Walt's---James, a very talented young fellow. I am sure the viewers with speech therapy will notice Walt's tongue in this photo about to enuciate the chorus of the state song "Alabama". :)
Aside from being the talented pianist, James was also the character of Charles Barkley.....can you guess which sport he played at Auburn University?


The children also had a short demonstration of the state dance of Alabama---no, it's not the macarena, the fox trot, the jitterbug or the electric slide---it's none other than the "square dance". Do-si-do, Cotton-Eyed-Joe.....right up Walt's alley.....as we try to never miss an episode of Dancing with the Stars!
And here's another of Walt's good friends....Trace....entertaining the crowd as Jimmy Buffett. Complete with visor, "LuLu's" t-shirt, and the ever necessary flip flops......but watch out for those "pop tops". :)


And here's Walter----as the famous Alabamian, and I quote (because I can quote it all having practiced his lines with him for weeks now....) "Vincent Edward Jackson....more commonly known as 'Bo' Jackson." Becuase hello.....would you have had any idea who Vincent Edward was?


Walt also mentions in his dialogue of Bo Jackson that in 1985, he won the heisman trophy....... I suggested to Walt that after he delivered that line, he should strike a heisman pose, for effect. To which he adamantly revoked my opinion. I explained how I thought it would make the crowd chuckle, and at home, he is always looking to make us chuckle.

He still refused until we talked to his teacher and she thought the suggestion was a great idea too. Beacuse apparently we have broached the age of "mom knows nothing, but my teacher rocks." So, the night of the program, he did it.......and the crowd released a great chuckle for his efforts. Except I missed the photo opportunity.....and didn't get it. So, I waited for the 'in-school' program time, and went to get the photo during that production......the problem, he chickened out of doing it in front of all his peers at school.........so, I had to make him do it for this photo.

Thanks for indulging your mother, sweet Walter. It's a hard and difficult life, I know......
And finally, here's Walt with his terrific teacher, whom he adores, Mrs. Henderson. Thanks, Mrs. Henderson, for a wonderful, entertaining, and informative school program. And for helping me out with the "mom isn't as dumb as you think" scenarios that come up from time to time.

2 comments:

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Great job, Walt! Before Daddy died of leukemia,(1989) every time he needed to have blood he would tell them, "Bring me some of BO JACKSON'S BLOOD!" I don't really think it was Bo's blood that Daddy received, but he sure did come back to life after every infusion!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great program Walt!! So sorry I couldn't be there to see you strike your pose!!
I love you,
Aunt Lana