Saturday, January 24, 2009

SATURDAY SHOWCASE.....and believe it when I say it's a showcase.....

***please allow me this moment to "toot my horn"....for my little gymnast!!***

Today, was a very historic moment. Tyner Beth took her first step towards the road to the 2016 Olympics. Okay, okay, so maybe not, maybe I didn't give birth to the next Mary Lou Retton, but she did compete in her first. ever. meet.!!!! And we couldn't have been more proud....even before the competition began. But WOW, she did so very well for her FIRST...EVER....MEET---here are the accolades because I just can't wait til the end of this post to tell you her results: (she was competing against other girls in her age group (6-7) in her skill level (level 3)--and although I can't say for sure, I think there were 12 total gymnasts in that category.

  • 2nd place on BEAM
  • 2nd place on BARS
  • 4th place on FLOOR
  • and not so good on VAULT--(8th I think) but there is a great story there--keep reading

  • and TA-DAH---she also stood on the podium in ALL-AROUND--3rd place!! WOW!!

Here is my sweet girl, finding her Daddy in the crowd and giving him a big smile and wave!!

BARS: Tyner Beth's favorite event. She did great, placing 2nd. She is most confident on this event, plus I think she likes swinging around like a monkey.....thus her favorite!

BEAM: also placed 2nd....look at the strength in that little 45 pound frame!

FLOOR: her stretch before her back walk-over....


VAULT: and now we come to the hard part of the day.....what appeared to have been Tyner Beth's nemesis for the meet.....

  • Before each event, the gymnasts have a warm-up time ( I think it's like 10 minutes or something) . During warm-ups, Tyner Beth somehow had her foot get caught on the springboard, or tripped on it somehow or something and had a crash. Her coach looked at her foot and ankle, checked to be sure it wasn't injured badly, and sent her to get water from her gym bag. Which she did, then lined back up and was able to practice one more vault before time was up. Which she did fine with.

Then it was time for judging. I noticed she was in the line-up to compete first for her team on this event. I was sure she would be nervous, but she lined up, scooted right down the lane and off the springboard she went, flying through the air with the greatest of ease, doing her stunt and landing nicely. Big smile. Nice job. (and sorry for the blurry photos, I was nervous...the vault seemed like it was a million miles away from me on the far side of the gym, and I have no idea what settings to use on my camera when I can't use my flash---so all of the above = blurry photos.)

In vaulting, they allow the gymnasts to take 2 turns at vault and take the best score. So, Tyner Beth lined back up again......scooted down the lane, off the springboard and.....



  • SMACK!!! --- face first right into the side facing of the mat. I was so scared for her. But you know what she did.....the proudest moment of the entire meet for Temple and I occured directly following the SMACK. That sweet thing, hopped up, stepped to the side of the lane mat, and gave her best finish pose and big smile to the judges. Then her coach gave her a hug, and she trotted back down the lane to sit with her team and immediately began cheering for her next friend.
No tears were shed. Except by me...even while I am typing this now. Seriously, she's 7. Where does she get such discipline? Such resolve? Me, I would have still been crying.....over the momentary pain ( I mean it had to hurt a little), the humiliation, the "oh, no, now I've messed up my score and the team score"...blah blah blah.
  • I tell you, there wasn't a better time, than right then and there. And she still had another event to compete on.....the Bars. Strong, I tell you. That girl is strong, and determined.
Here is her Level 3 team, the Bama Bounders, posing with their TEAM trophy---2nd place overall. GREAT JOB, GIRLS!!!

Mom was able to come with us to enjoy watching TB all day!

And look at this suprise......Temple's Aunt Joy drove up to Birmingham from Prattville to watch Tyner Beth too! She brought her roses (which Tyner Beth loved) ....how sweet is that? But it gets even sweeter.......
She gave her this very special HAND made card too! Aunt Joy is a very crafty and creative lady. This card had lots of layer of different papers, glitter, jewels in the crown, other sequins and stars....all meticulously placed for the "Queen of Gymnastics". So thoughtful! Thank you again, Aunt Joy, for all of this, and especially for taking so many hours from your Saturday to spend watching Tyner Beth "do her thang"!!

  • Here she is, on the podium, being presented 3rd place in ALL-AROUND. You know, where they take your scores from each event....and she placed 3rd! WAY TO GO, Tyner Beth! You did an OUTSTANDING job today......we are all so very proud of you and all you accomplished! That training has really been paying off.....we can't wait to see you compete again!

12 comments:

Niki Arendale said...

Way to go Tyner Beth!!! Kim-I know you must be so very proud of her.

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB Tyner Beth! Brenna started with Ms. Mary at Bama Bounders when she was 18 months and oh how difficult it was to find a gym to replace BB in Memphis when we moved. Congrats TB on the first of many more to come!

The Cannons said...

Great Job Tyner Beth!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I am so proud of you!! I wasn't able to come see you, but you were in my thoughts and prayers. I am most proud of you for your GRIT. Way to go ALL-STAR SUPER STAR!!

I love you leaps and bounds!!
Aunt Lana

Maryalice said...

I'm soooooo PROUD TB!

I love you and miss you girl!!

Maryalice

Anonymous said...

wow - how exciting! thanks for posting. she looks like a winner to me.

Anonymous said...

What a stunner! She's got those Kim Tyner genes going for her!!! Congrats Tyner Beth!

Raegan & Caleb said...

Great Job!

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Great Job, Tyner Beth!!! I can't wait for you to be a part of Aubrey and Lainey's world! I just know that they are gonna look up to you in so many ways! You make us all very, very proud!

Penny said...

Way to Go Tyner Beth! I am so proud of you. April has nothing on you NOW! It is more difficult to fly through the air, than to throw a softball.
I can't wait to see you with my own eyes and I hope it is soon! I know that Mom and Dad are so proud!

Kim Lawson said...

WOW!!! Great job, TB!!! You looked awesome!! Wish I could have been there!!! I really want the girls to watch you some time. Maybe your mom and I can work it out.

CandiceNicole said...

This just made my day!! I love the pictures...although, you could have cropped me out of the bar picture! lol I don't look near as good as she does! I am so proud of her!