- Did you read that? sometimes that verse can be rather hard to swallow. But if it's written in the word, then you must believe it to be truth--every day---even if you didn't vote for him, today is a day to be glad---because it is a day, that the LORD has made.
January, 20, 2009---it is another day on the calendar....although this is one that definitely goes down in the history books in ALL CAPS. A historical day indeed. Nope, I didn't vote for him. But that didn't stop me from watching the coverage. I saw Aretha in her big ol' hat, and I saw Michelle in her glittery dress and green gloves, and I saw former President George H. Bush with his Northern Exposure-esque fur head covering (I used to love that show), and I saw about a million people with scarves....because hey, the scarf?--it is in. Add that to the fact that it was like 25 degrees...and BOOM, everyone showed up with one wrapped around their neck, in some form or fashion.
- Anyway, last evening, Temple and I were talking about the big inauguaration day. I said I wouldn't mind being there to enjoy the moment. Maybe not the man taking over the helm so much, but the whole pomp and circumstance of it all---all 175 million dollars worth---that's a lot of pomp, if you ask me. I am all about some good party food, it is a deep love of mine. Couple that with all the balls, dancing is always fun---honey, I could do a mean roger rabbit back in the day---and sign me up for a ticket to DC. Then Temple reminded me that I would have to share a port-a-john with several thousands of my fellow Americans. And the whole, "I have a dream....to go to the historical inauguration" left me in a flash. You see, me and the sharing of a bathroom, are non-negotiable. I thought it very odd to be asked to do it at the dorm every summer for cheerleader camp back in the 80's. And I even liked those girls.
So, I didn't go to DC. I just watched as much pomp and circumstance as I could on the telly. Besides, I didn't even get a chance to buy a new scarf, and I would have felt completely out of place with my old ones.
- So, I was thinking of some thoughts about today. And these verses come to mind. For in everything, God has a word to bestow on my heart.
"It is better to put trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." ~~Psalm 118:8
"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."~~Proverbs 19:21
So, I didn't vote for him. But he is my president. Because I am an American. And therefore, I give respect to the office he has taken. And will pray he allows the Lord to guide his steps.
But above all of that, I still know who's really in charge.....and believe me, one day when I get to HIS big party.....there will be lots of dancing (can you not wait to see Moses doing the twist?) and honey, the party food, I can't even imagine....I think they call it a feast!
Now, excuse me, I need to see about getting me a new scarf. You know, just in case I get invited to an outdoor gala sometime soon.
4 comments:
im taking a tiny break at work while i scarf (get it, scarf) down my wonderful hospital cafeteria lunch of potatoes au gratin and cherry cobbler. yes, not a protein to be found! anyway, i was by luck walking through the admissions office when the swearing in took place. really cool.
Very well put Kim. I however, must mention that I had no desire to be there. Not for any lack of respect, it's just not something I have any need to be a part of while I do consider myself to be patriotic and I do have a scarf. ;)But you are so spot on with the fact that we know who our Leader of the Free Nation is, if you will. With Christ comes freedom. Our new President needs many prayers that our Lord will guide him. That's how I'll take part in today I suppose.
Does every function require new clothing?? Very good quotes and comments. Love you
T5
To T5: the answer is YES; everything, not just every function requires new clothing!!
To Kimbo: Well written my friend!
Post a Comment