Thursday, December 03, 2009

H3 (Hide His words in your Heart)--December's verse.



What do you think of when people say "Christmas"?  I know you think of Jesus, or at least I hope you do.  But what wordly things does that word bring to mind?

Many people see, hear or feel Christmas and think of beautiful decorations, twinkling trees, fresh baked goodies, candy cane wishes, Santa Clause letters, Elves toyshop, gingerbread houses,  snow covered roof tops, naughty or nice, hot apple cider, Dasher and Dancer, wrapping paper, stockings, and let us not forget what people most often associate with Christmas time....the GIFTS.  In fact, I already have many presents wrapped up nicely under our tree.

This month, I'd like for us to really focus on that topic.  What? You're serious? You want us to spend our time and energy on the gifts? 

No, my dear friends, I want you to spend your time and energy focusing on THE gift.  THE, one and only, gift.

For weeks now I had assumed I would use a traditional "Christmas-y" verse to share with you for our H3 scripture memorization in December. Maybe a classic like those found in Luke 2, where we hear about the joy in Christ's birth, the peace He brings. And it all sounded good. In fact, I thought that right up until just hours ago before this post was scheduled. But something kept holding me back from writing it down, sending it off, and going to bed. (And I need sleep, y'all--it's been days since I've really rested.)

The Lord just kept telling me to keep searching....there were even better "glad tidings" to be found than just a verse announcing the Savior's birth. And so, as He always does, He laid it on my heart to share something...but it's not from Luke 2 like I thought it was going to be.  Like I was planning for it to be.  Because if there's one thing I've learned, most often I've learned it the hard way, my ways and the Lord's ways are not always the same....but HIS ways are always right. In fact, we only need "child-like" faith....and so, I found our verse while reading in one of my kid's bibles.  :) 


So, let me just say, the verse will seem a little different at first, and not related to your usual Christmas type scriptures.  But read it and then continue on to read how we are going to use our verse this month....and hopefully it will make sense in the end.  Are you ready??? 






"Blessed are they
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man
whose sin the Lord will never count against him." 
~Romans 4:7-8

Now you're probably scratching your head thinking....why in the world did she pick this verse?  Here's your challenge for the month.  And it should physically only take you a few minutes to accomplish....but mentally, I hope it is a reminder to you all during this Christmas season......and spiritually, I pray it will bring on a lifetime in eternity!

God gave us the perfect gift.  It didn't come in a size 6, it wasn't made of the finest cashmere, you can't store all 1,479 of your absolute favorite songs on it, it wasn't bought in a jewelry store, or shipped from a famous toy factory.....none of those are truly the "perfect gift".  The perfect gift could have only arrived via the perfect Savior.  God gives us salvation.....as his gift to us.  And when someone gives you a gift, you accept it and say "thank you". 

Get an empty gift box, or extra box of any kind you may have around the house. Big, small, it's up to you.  Write the scripture from Romans 4:7-8 on a piece of paper and put it in the box.  You may want to do this as a family activity and talk about the REAL gift of Jesus.  Maybe you want to print it out on special paper in an elegant font from the computer.  Maybe you want to let each family member take turns writing a portion of the verse. 

Now, after the verse is placed in the box, wrap it up like a Christmas gift.  Stick it under your tree.  Put it out as a decoration in your bedroom.  Decorate it to match your kitchen.  Where ever you want to put it...go for it.  Maybe you want to make a few to place around your home....to put in certain eye-catching spots for family to see. Maybe you want to make a small one to take to others, someone you know needs to hear from the Lord that they are forgiven....to offer them this small "gift".  

The importantance is to look upon that gift wrapped box as a reminder that God has forgiven you.  God has forgiven me. 

Gifts....it's what everyone is thinking about this season.  Only now, you can focus on THE real gift.  The ONE and ONLY gift. 

So, what do you think? Ready to be blessed?  Ready to bless others?  No need to max out the credit card.  Share Jesus with them....the greatest gift of all.  It's not an empty box....it's filled with all the goodness and mercy that comes with his words.  Hide them in the box.  Hide them in your heart.

Merry Christmas! 

P.S.  Don't forget if you want to join us in scripture memorization I'd love to hear from you. I try to mail something out each month, a little verse reminder for you to have.  Please email me (bowlingfamilymoments@yahoo.com) and let me know if you're interested!  The more the merrier!

3 comments:

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Great job, Kim. A wonderful message of inspiration to us all.

The Cannons said...

Thank you my dear. Love the idea and you too!:)

Mary Avery said...

I totally forgot that you nominated me through my blog for a blog award. I guess with the baby coming I totally forgot to put it up on my blog and thank you. I'm sorry but I really do appreciate it. It just came across my mind so I knew I had to come say sorry!