Seriously....and you thought I was nuts. My voice mail beeped at 3:58 to inform me I had a new message I needed to hear. Boy did I ever. "Kimberly, answer the phone. The suspense is killing me." (I'm counting that as phone call #1)
What suspense? He's been through football on his own before, back in the 80's.....it's not some foreign activity like it is to me, and surely it hasn't changed all that much in a couple decades. I return his call (which counts as phone call #2) and he immediately starts into a million questions...."well, how's it going? what's he doing? does he look like he's doing well?"
To which I replied...."I don't know. I dropped him off and left."
"You mean you aren't sitting there watching practice?"........apparently he forgot the other offspring in our family he helped create that also require my care....and taxi skills. So I remind him of such...."we're at piano right now."
"Okay well, did your drive past the school on your way there and see him?"
"No, we came the back way....."
"Well, when you leave for baseball practice, drive by and look. And be sure to have him call me as soon as he gets in the car with you."
So....Mozart and I leave piano and head to the park for baseball. And we drive by the practice field. And I see him. My little original bundle of joy. And he looks so little, like a newborn. And those other boys, the ones with all the helmets and pads and such look even bigger than I'd remembered.
About 8 minutes have passed......(phone call #3) "Well, did you see him yet? Is he finished? What's he doing?"
"No dear, they weren't finished. They were all still out at the practice field. But yes, we saw him. He was just standing there."
"Well, that's good news. At least he's still standing."
So.....Babe Ruth departs the vehicle for baseball practice and the taxi makes a run back up to the football practice. A few minutes have passed.....and you guessed it....(phone call #4)...."Why haven't you called me yet? I told you to have him call as soon as he finished."
"Umm....that would be because, he's not finished. But, the good news is I'm here. Watching. It's close to the end of practice. They are running right now."
And I proceed to take my nifty Nikon out, that just so happened to have my long lens still attached. See, the Lord, he knows what I need, even before I need it. So, I use it as a spy binocular of sorts. And I felt like those cheesy tabloid photographers that lurk in the bushes to get that next cover shot of Jennifer Anniston with no make-up.
But, it didn't phase me enough that I stopped spying. I could see that my boy child appeared to be alive, and was not throwing up at the moment. In fact, he seemed to be enjoying this thing called Spring Training. I called his Dad to inform him of the latest events. He confided in me that he just couldn't believe he was missing his first day of High School Football. I guess, because he was out of town, it made it even harder to believe this was actually happening......than say me, who was there to see it with my own two eyes. :)
He's a great father. He loves his boy. Almost as much as I do. :) You know how you remember all their firsts....and you might think those only involve baby, toddler, Kindergarten type things. First words, first steps, first tooth, first foods, first coloring sheet, first kiss, first smile, first day of school....the list goes on and on. Moments you hold on to forever......
Well, let me tell you.....the firsts never stop. They keep coming. And I love every stinking one of them.
And just to let you all know.....the Dad....he survived too. However, he just called to announce he would be picking our boy up from football practice today. He was already there. Watching. Without the lurking Nikon camera. I bet he marched right out onto the practice field.
1 comment:
Yes just tonight I bought the ...........
FIRST party dress for the FIRST out of state 5 day long band trip without her mama being a cool chaperone, to wear to her FIRST broadway play in Chicago.....The FIRSTs never stop.
Glad Rivers, the Temple of Doom and you survived!!
Post a Comment