I should probably go ahead and clarify one item of interest right now. The white T-shirt, it doesn't come from her pajama drawer. Heck, it doesn't even come in her size, but it still happens to have, just the right fit. You see, the shirt has to come from her Daddy. And usually, it comes straight off his back. That's right. You read it correctly, it is the one he has worn as an undershirt all day.
Now, just to be fair, it is the new millenium, and Temple has a climate controlled office and car.....so, the undershirt is still clean from his hard day at work. And obviously, if it is ever a day where some form of manual labor, (i.e., he had to walk too far, in the hot sun, from the parking lot at Brio or Superior Grill, to his waiting table for lunch), well, we give her a clean shirt from his freshly laundered pile that the laundry fairy did while he was enjoying his lunch at Brio. Thankyouverymuch.
(Oh, no, really, I didn't want to eat lunch at Brio, why, the laundry fairy doesn't have time for lunch anyway. :)
The point is, the white T-shirt is what gives her comfort. Earlier last weekend, before sitting down to write this post, she wasn't feeling well. In fact, she had been sick all day, low-grade fever, complaining that her stomach, head, arm, here, there, everywhere, hurts. I assume it was what some call a "fever virus" as she was better within 24 hours and really just slept all day and night. She had a small spell with vomitting some sweet tea, so we went into the bathroom to get a shower and change her pajamas. We replaced them with none other than......one of her Daddy's white T-shirts. And she was able to settle back down to rest...almost instantly. It's the white shirt, it's her comfort.
I think it is just precious that for years now, Tyner Beth has asked to sleep in her Daddy's shirt. The shirt that he has been wearing all day. She likes that it has a faint scent of his deoderant still lingering around.
I think it's even sweeter that she has a father, who never hesitates to "give her the shirt, right off his back". He's that kind of Daddy. I hope she keeps asking for his shirt, for many, many years to come, even after she's too big for it to cover from her head to her toes.
5 comments:
That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard!
Too sweet. Daddies and their little girls (even when they are 31) have a very special bond!
I love this. I just love it. Brings sweet tears to my eyes. I agree I don't want to forget a moment of my girls lives and especially the precious ones.
Trenton is almost 14 (October) and he has shirts that he sleeps in that were Marshall's when he was Trenton's age. It is the little memories that are the most precious.
Rachel Moon said...
There is definitely nothing that compares to the bond between a Daddy and his daughter... I still have a shirt that I wear to bed that I confiscated from my dad when I was a little girl! I hear you about failing memories... thank goodness for blogs! Thanks for sharing your stories, all of us in the Moon household sure enjoy them :)
Post a Comment