Monday, April 27, 2009

Another field trip to Camp McDowell....

So, I headed out for yet another adventure at Camp McDowell.....this time with my oldest son, on another three day field trip. And we had a blast....outdoors, with no tv, computer, x-box or such. But we did have, one toilet, two sinks, worn thin mattress cots, and the open air, which was filled with an abundance of chiggers and ticks. I just kept reminding myself that I didn't have to cook meals or wash a load of laundry for 3 days......and that's just music to my ears.....or maybe it was the hum of a chigger I was hearing.

At any rate, my boy had a grand time. Especially since he was often paired up with his best friend, J. They were great at canoeing.....and splashing water with a paddle, and pretending it was a big game of bumper boats on clear creek!! :)


Oh, and remember me "sharing the knowledge" with you last month about the poison ivy vine growing on a tree? See the feelers? Poisonous.....even in the winter months.


Well, no need to worry.....now that Spring has sprung, poison ivy can be clearly recognized with it's "leaves of three" (let them be).



Rivers was fortunate to have a class instructed by Big Dave while at camp. He taught a short survival skills class that we were glad to be assigned to. And because we should always "share our knowledge", I thought I'd pass along another little fact he told us one afternoon while out on a hike.

If you are ever stranded, and need to build a fire, and say it has been raining for days, everything is wet. All the trees, the ground cover, everything, soaked. What do you look for to find dry wood to start a fire? The answer is: Red Cedar and Oak Leaf Hydrangea (more commonly known to your grandmother as "seven-bark"). You can take off the very outer edge layer of either the cedar tree or the hydrangea bush, and find layers of excellent fire starter dryness. AWESOME. Because, knowledge is power.



We also were able to participate in physical challenges while at camp. And learned a lot about trust.....as in trusting the instructor not to drop you on your head at the climbing wall (a more physical challenge) or power pole (more of a mental challenge)!! :) Here's my little spiderman, showing his skills, making it to the top!


Here he is climbing the power pole. Sure, he's harnessed up, but watching your son climb a power pole and then jump for a trapeze (without a net underneath) is still a little heart stopping. Good thing I have the camera to distract me!



I'm telling you right now.....that boy has some serious pole climbing skills. He was one, of only a few in their class, who was able to climb to the top, leap for the trapeze, catch it, and hold on.
Awesome! And then he turned all weird on me, and wanted me to try it.
Me. to try it. Me? Really, I don't have any trust issues, but the thoughts of having a little Camp McDowell instructor holding onto Rivers on a rope is not quite the same as holding onto me with the same harness and rope. I'm just sayin'. Besides I would have dropped that camera in a heartbeat if he started falling.......at least I could cushion the fall a bit.


And now is when I should mention that they don't serve up a bottle of wine at the canteen, which could have proved helpful for this class......to me, a glass of chardonnay and a trapeze act go hand in hand. However, I'm glad to announce that I harnessed up, faced my fears, and all without the aide of a good year of Pinot Grigio.

How fortunate for you that my son decided it was all photo worthy......otherwise, I don't think his father would have believed us. I don't think I would have believed it either, had I not been there, in physical form anyway. Mentally, I was elsewhere. Because if you stop long enough to think about the fact that some young college kid that weighs less than you is 40 feet below, on the ground, holding the rope that saves you from life or death.........or at the very least several crushed bones, and a broken plastic helmet......well, all I can say is mentally, you just need to keep focused. Or bring your own bottle of wine. Or body armor. Or don't go.


So, to appease my 12 year old, I climb to the top, at a fast pace, don't look down, count to 3 and leap like there's no tomorrow....because if this harness doesn't hold me, there may not be.



Look, I survived to tell about it. And what form. I think I hear Barnum & Bailey calling my name right now........thanks Camp McDowell for launching my circus career to new heights, Ringling Bros. may never be the same. Look for me at a show of Zing Zang Zoom in a city near you.
Someone remind me how many more kids, I have to travel with, to chaperone at Camp McDowell. And also, I believe on my next evaluation sheet I'm going to suggest they do a wine-tasting for the adults prior to afternoon classes. And morning class, and as evening snack.

1 comment:

Lana said...

Look at you go..... I am sure that the staff at Camp McDowell will consider that Happy Hour request during Canteen time...... After dealing with all those sweet children, I can guarantee the thought has crossed their minds!!