Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cooking Camp......Strawberry Ooey-Gooey Cake

This cake was so ooey-gooey delicious. Again, I only had one little helper in the kitchen. Lucky for her....as she was able to crack the eggs without the usual sibling battle. And pat down the entire 9x13 pan without having to fight the guys for her spot at the counter.


She even was able to spread the ooey-gooey stuff on top......all by herself. However, the boys must have smelled the strawberry mixture, because they arrived just in time to lick the spatula and beater and mixing bowl.


Again, this recipe was on an index card in my recipe box. I have no idea where it came from....I'm guessing on-line, but not sure at what site. I have a few recipe books with other ooey-gooey cakes in them, so it may have been an adaptation of sorts that I tried somewhere down the line when strawberries were in season.
  • As a side note...... I have also used this recipe for German Chocolate Ooey-Gooey Butter Cake at Kelly's Korner recipes. Temple loves German Chocolate Cake, but I don't like to fuss with making it, the cake, the icing, spreading it on the layers and such.....so I found this and LOVED it for the simplicity and taste. Temple did too. And that my friend, is what I like to call a "Win-Win" situation. But back to the ooey-gooey goodness of the strawberry cake.........
Tyner Beth even packed a couple of pieces to take to school for snack. One for her, and one for her teacher. You know you can get "strawberry ooey-gooey points" just like brownie points. As it turns out, a few other teachers (some of which were of the 3rd grade position) were able to try out a bite of her masterpiece and they all had RAVE reviews. Several even asked for the recipe. And she tried to oblige.....at which point the school secretary tried her hardest to merely smile, instead of laughing out loud at TB, when she began describing the recipe.
  • "You get a strawberry cake mix and crack an egg and then pat it down in a pan. And then you mix up the gooey stuff and you need some of that white stuff but it's not sugar, and it comes in a blue and white box (Domino Powdered Sugar), an then you bake it."
So, she won't be writing recipes for Martha Stewart anytime soon.......but she's only seven. Was Martha doing so well when she was in 2nd grade? I think not.

After being asked for the recipe....a grand compliment to cooks everywhere.....she was beaming with pride. Realizing she had a potential gold mine on her hands, she ventured back out the next day with two slabs of ooey-gooey for the 4th grade teachers. And then the next day, why not hit up a 5th grade teacher you really like, and a few other faculty while you're at it? There is no law, stating a limit, on how many brownie points you can achieve with one 9x13 cake pan.


If you can't decipher her recipe with the information she gave.....then click here or go on over to our House of Bowling recipe blog.

The point is.....you need to try it. You may learn real quick, as did Tyner Beth, the road to success may very well be paved with Strawberry Ooey-Gooey goodness.

5 comments:

Lana said...

Sounds yummy!! I hope that her rash is better!

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Would Tyner Beth be interested in giving me cooking lessons in my RV? I should be coming to Alabama soon! Or, maybe she could start up a "drive thru" for us so that we could get a great home cooked meal?????

Anonymous said...

Yummo! Who doesn't love strawberry cake.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Mrs. Darlene....she would love to begin her business skills at such an early age..."meals on wheels"--look for her pushing casseroles and cakes from her doll strollers in a neighborhood near you soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn Stocks wrote this
I do not know who you are referring to when you said some were in the 3rd grade position. Those things were delicious. I have definitely got to get her to come make me some. I hope and pray that I get her next year, even though you may be tired of the Stocks clan and want someone different. She has grown so much since last year. Love her to pieces