Thursday, April 01, 2010

Man's best friend and a leap of faith....

I was in shock Monday afternoon about 4:30.  Our beloved yellow lab was hit by a car.

"WHAT!?!?  I was hit by a car! Oh my!"

Yes, that's right.  I took the call from my Dad....."I think Sadie's just been hit by a car.  I can't see her, but I can hear her crying and I think she's trying to get home to you".  And that's exactly what she was doing.  I ran out to meet her, saw she was only walking on 3 legs, was panting like she was almost seizing, was bleeding, and was just in a lot of pain and trauma.  So I called our friends who are Vets, scooped her up and rushed her over to be checked out.

I had to leave her overnight.  They hooked her up an IV line, cleaned her leg, cuts and scrapes, gave her some pain meds and in the morning they took x-rays. 

"Yep, I'm tough. I'm kind of like a bionic dog....almost."

So, the good news, Sadie's leg wasn't broken.  Her x-rays came back fine.  She was going to be released to come home and I needed to go pick her up. 

The bad news,they told me when I arrived, is that the leg that was hit by the car was the same leg we had that big, expensive surgery on back in 2008.  She can't have anymore surgeries on that leg. They think she has probably torn her ACL or MCL or whatever that is called in the knee area again.....but, no more surgeries for that leg.  So, she may walk around holding it up beside her for a while, hopefully not for forever, although there's plenty of 3 legged dogs running around.  I just didn't want mine to be
one of them.  For now, she's relishing in the fact that everyone is doting over her even more than before, she's getting special priviledges of sleeping inside at night again, and we are rubbing cream on her wounds (that are healing really nicely) and she's getting drugs....lots of drugs....wrapped in cheese.  What's better than a good old pain killer/sharp cheddar cocktail? :)

So, that would almost be the end of the story, except I've left out one small part.  When I rushed out headed to the Vet Clinic with Sadie laying on a towel in my front seat, I was in a complete panic mode....crying, heart palpitating, Sadie's blood on my arms,etc...obviously my mind was elsewhere and I didn't pay attention to this:


That silly cat was on top of my car. Where he tends to stay much of the day. Well....until the other day.  I was about 1/3 mile from our house when suddenly I saw a white blur come flying down in front of my windshield and leap (literally for his life) into the nearby woods.

Now, I'm not one to say one human life is of more value than another, however, let's just say if it was my sister and her husband, and I could only save one.....well, all I can say is I love you Kevin and it's been a blast having you in the family, but I'm gonna pick my sister.

And the same with animals, while maybe one is not of more value than the other, when I realized Mr. Jingles had been hanging on to the luggage rack for dear life, and then leapt from the car and had his front and back legs stretched out as far as he could (if he would have had a cape on his back he would have looked just like that cartoon character UnderDog flying through the air).....all I could think was, "Oh my, I do hope you clear the wheels because if I run over you, I don't have time to stop and bring you along, my Sadie Lady is hurting too bad and I can't lose her......but it's been nice knowing you my feline friend."

The good news is when I returned, Mr. Jingles was snuggled up in Sadie Lady's bed waiting for me.  And when I pulled in, he promptly looked at me and my two ton vehicle with much disgust.

I'm just sayin'....in the grand scheme of things, Sadie would be like my sister and that crazy cat like my brother-in-law. I'm gonna pick my dog every time.  She's been so loyal to us, and has never once stuck her nose up in the air like she's better than us....never once....but that cat, ugh.   Maybe it's because we've only had the cat for a little over a year....he hasn't grown on me as much yet.  But I will tell you he better start buttering up to me soon because he just used up one of those 9 lives with that death defying leap of faith. 

8 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

So glad to hear good ole Sadie and Mr. Jingles are both ok. I'm definitely laughing out loud at the thought of Mr. Jingles hanging on your luggage rack for dear life!

hicksfamilycircus said...

oH DEAR!! I'm so glad your dear old friend is ok and that the cat is too!!

Joy said...

You always have a story to amaze me!!! I'm glad Sadie is ok.....and Mr Jingles too....almost spit my coffee on the monitor when I read that part!!!!!
Sounds like y'all had another great spring break too! Glad you had a great trip and you made it home, safe and sound !!
Love you!
Aunt Joy

Joy said...

Oh my.... your family is a laugh ( so glad Sadie is alive so we can laugh) a minute. It so reminds me of life when all my three kiddos were home!
Glad everyone survived

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

I have cried, said a few "OMG" and smiled while reading this post. I am so glad that Sadie is alright!! (Glad the cat made it too) BUt, I am like you, my dog is an angel from God in my life, and God requires that I meet his every need. Eli and I will be saying a prayer that Sadie recovers quickly and that the cat stays off the car!

carissa said...

too much pet trauma in one day! wow! i'm glad everyone is okay!

jtwelch said...

Funny - I never thought of Kevin as a cat!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that both animals are ok. I got an account of Sadie's accident from Tyner Beth the other morning. Glad Mr. Jingles is ok, too. I just about stoked out with laughter at the thought of that cat flying through the air. I'm still laughing! I also am an animal lover. We have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Our golden retriever, Sammy, who is 9 years old holds that special place in my heart like Sadie does in yours.


Sherri Carroll