And I knew all the words to P.Y.T--pretty young thing.... Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (got to be starting somethin').... The Girl is mine... Billie Jean..... I Wanna Rock with You (all night)....oh and who could forget BEAT IT?
As so many others I'm sure, we were watching news coverage of the King of Pop's death. Videos were reeling in the background, showing various songs, various nose configurations & various colors of his skin. All of a sudden the video with him doing the moonwalk came on screen....and Rivers just about had a come-a-loose.
R: "Mama, did you see that? Did you see him just do the moonwalk? Man....he can do the moonwalk REALLY good."
Me: "Yes, son. He invented the moonwalk.... or at the very least it is his "signature" move. When you talk about the moonwalk, everyone thinks of Michael Jackson."
R: "Are you serious? He invented the moonwalk....I didn't know that."
That's what I'm here for, useless trivia knowledge.
Then, because my information well is very deep, the kids all hit me with a plethora of questions. I had to try to explain why he wanted to change his nose? why it was so sunken in on the sides? why would someone want to do all that then? and what about his white skin? and why is a sheriff helicopter taking his body somewhere? and what are "remains"?and what do dead people look like? and did he go to heaven?
Look folks, my knowledge is limited to the pop culture facts of the 80's. Wanna see me do the moonwalk?
I did try to explain some sort of competent answers to each of their questions. And when they asked about heaven....I answered that I did not know of his relationship with the Lord, but I sure hoped he knew our Saviour, on a personal level. We later saw in an interview and Rivers pointed out, Michael stating, "the truth will prevail, I believe in God."
I guess one day we will know for sure, and can find out for ourselves. When Moses greets us wearing shiny sequin socks and a white glove, sliding through the Pearly Gates, doing the moonwalk with Jacko by his side.
I did love me some Michael Jackson songs. My best dance days were during his songs. And while we are speaking of the dearly departed, what about Farrah?
Hello? just a few months ago, I tried styling my hair like her feathered finesse of 1977. Gosh, she had great hair. And great legs. And I always wanted to be a Charlie's Angels girl when I grew up. Because they had great hair. And great legs. And got to run after the bad guys. And still look FANTABULOUS!!!
What great memories from two icons.....long live the feather wing hair and the moonwalk!
4 comments:
Charlie's Angels was a good show now that you mention it.....
Great tribute to the king of the moonwalk and total weirdness. I use that term with the most affection. You certainly did pull of the Farrah Facuett hair. You failed to mention THE poster. The one with her head back smiling toward the camera is the swimsuit. I remember that your Uncle was the proud owner of that one. I better call him and make sure that he is ok! I was always envious of the body and the tan. To each his/her own!
You should write for the Times or the Post or even the big TR... Kim's Corner, Useless Trivia That Will Make You Laugh... I'll keep working on the title. I know that I can come up with something with a little more excitement.
RIP ~Micheal and Farrah~
~Lana
the moses bit is good material. dave and i got a good laugh as i read it to him as he is making dinner tonight. we're glad lawman is oblivious to all the media coverage at the moment! dave refuses to watch any of it, but i can't help myself!
Dave....where's the love for Michael? You're so engrossed with Oprah, that you have no room for other celebrities in your heart???
I KNOW you had to enjoy a tune or two back in the day... :)
Post a Comment