Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The post where I express, yet again, my dislike of science fair projects.

Spring is a wonderful time of year, really it is. Except for the dark cloud hanging over that date on the calendar known as the science fair.  The point at which I want to crawl back in a hole and hibernate some more for winter. Because let me tell you, I loathe science fair projects.

Sure, the first 2-3 projects we did for the science fair those early years, back when Elder Son was a mere lad running down the primary halls, were fun. Exciting. Riveting even. Back then Middle Child and Baby Girl had not yet even made it to the ranks of homework much less science class, but that didn't hinder them from begging to do science experiments at home, make project boards like their big brother, cut out letters, glue, glitter, etc.etc. the whole nine yards.  In the early years, I loved getting so involved and wanting to help the kids make the best experiment decisions and clever project boards that they possibly could.

Then reality hits hard, as many years down the road, I was helping with science fair project #10. 

That's 10 science experiments, 10 project boards, 10 reports, 10 discussions at length about coming up with a good experiment, 10 fights over who gets what border from the leftover bin and the self-stick letters, 10 arguements about proper line spacing, neatness counts, the hypothesis is an important integral, and no you can't just do an erupting volcano.

Everyone in the family lost the thrill around project #5, or back around the year 2005....so it's been rough in the spring when that date on the calendar rolls around. 

However, there is hope. High School doesn't require science fair projects--to which I say Hip Hip Hooray!! That means that only the sweet little crafty girl in the family is left to deal with the chaos from here on out. Which is good, because I'm here to tell you, one more year of multiple science projects and this mama was going to lose her mind.

Now, all that to say, that even though this year I declared we would have a calm experience with the projects, we would just relax and not get too stressed about the whole affair.....not worry about whether or not we had matching borders, in fact we didn't even bother with borders this year. That's right, I threw caution to the wind and said to heck with it, we'll just spray paint the boards and add in a different color for the border. I didn't fret over whether they had everything glued or taped in perfect placement.  And do you know what.....they turned out just fine. 

Baby Girl tested what household items would help you in the event you were out of laundry stain remover and a giant sharpie marker stained your t-shirt. And I'm happy to report that she won a place at her school again this year with her science fair project. And then she proceeded to move on to the next level, the county science fair.  I was unable to attend the county science fair that morning, but was able to meet up with her sponsor and the other kids for lunch after the judging.  She was excited to see me and smiling said, "Mom, I didn't win anything this time."  To which I replied, "oh, that's okay Baby Girl, you won at your school, and the county is tougher, I think it's just an honor that you were able to represent, you did good, I'm proud of you no matter what!."

She laughed real loud and then held up her trophy....."just kidding, I won 3rd place!"  




Spray painted border and all. 

Next year, I may just let her do an erupting volcano.

4 comments:

Lana said...

Well.... what worked best??

Congrats Tyner Beth. So glad you take after your mama. Just kidding Doom.

Love you all lots!
Lana

Cousin Connie said...

So what works best on a Sharpie???

Joy said...

Oh, I remember those days. By the time Josh was in the upper elementary grades I was like.......how many points will you lose if you don't do one?

We must know what beat the sharpie!

Joy said...

Congrats Tyner Beth!! Way to go!
xoxo Aunt Joy